Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010

Incantation is on a distinguished road
Catalina 30 vs Dickinson bbq

I have been looking at bbq's and I've chosen to go with the Dickinson Sea-B-Que but can't decide whether to go for big or small. The big one looks huge in person.. possibly too big, yet it has a lot more cooking area. I think it's probably too big for the back of my boat, but without fitting it there I won't know for sure.. curous if anyone can suggest which they'd prefer for their 30(ish)?

Is the small one good enough for parties of four? Or six?

DickinsonMarine.com - Marine Propane Barbeques
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The small BBQs are generally pretty much limited to parties of 2 or 3 in our experience.. we've got a smallish one and when we have guests it's a real squeeze - we have to eat progressively at times.

We'd not go for larger because it's mostly just us two. For more frequent larger parties I'd now be tempted to go with the Magma round-style (though I don't like the way they fit on the boat) they do seem to be the most versatile and reliable.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-27-2010

swadiver is on a distinguished road
When I have to make a decision like this, I make a cardboard model using the dimensions from the web site. It is not exact but might give you a good idea of how it will fit.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 12-27-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Go large- it's only 4" wider, and 2" deeper, but it makes a world of difference. One caveat, though is to make sure your stern rail set-up can handle the weight- it's 30 lbs. plus gas canister, compared to 20 lbs for the smaller bbq.
Old 12-27-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Have you talked to anyone that has one to see how it actually works, or if there are problems? The reason I ask is that we bought what we thought was the best galley propane stove available, Dickinson, and we have been/are very unhappy with it for many reasons. Just FYI.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-28-2010

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Suggest you also take into consideration how many people you will *usually* be cooking for and where you will be storing it. We have a round Magma bbq -- we *rarely* use it, but it works well for our family of four and sometimes an additional guest (or two when we go "refugee-style"). I wouldn't want anything bigger, plus it takes up very little storage space.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 12-28-2010

Incantation is on a distinguished road
thanks for the replies..

dickinson is a local company, so above and beyond all other options, iw oudl be nice to know parts/service is local. i've read good things about them.. magma seems to be a popular alternative.

i don't know.. i kind of just went with it because it looks bigger. now maybe a round one would be better. u guys were supposed to help simplify the decision.. lol
Old 12-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incantation View Post
..... u guys were supposed to help simplify the decision.. lol
We've been all around the BBQ issue - from Force 10 (another local outfit) to Sport (burnt everything) and now back to F10 "log" style small one... It suits the two of us but I don't really like the redesigned lid.

For usability, size and the ability to stay lit in various crosswind situations I'd be looking at the round style - whether S-B-Ques or Magma. Also you can get hose adaptors to run any of these off a regular tank - avoiding the bulk and weight of the greenies on the rail, and the need to store/supply them.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-29-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Small Sea-b-Que

I have the small Sea-b-Que on my C36 and I'm very happy with it. Its never blown out and I haven't had problems regulating the heat. There have been a couple of occasions when I would have liked a bit more grill real estate, but the trade off is more problems storing the thing. I don't like sailing with the grill hanging off the boat so I take it down when not in use. The small fits perfectly on top of the engine cover under the companionway stairs. Its a tight fit and there's no doubt the large wouldn't fit so the trade off is worth it for me. If you plan to leave it on the rail and you regularly feed groups larger than 4, then you might be happier with the large.

hth.