Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Awesome and I am a bit jealous as you are sailing right now and I am stuck in the snow...

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2010

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Welcome...self taught sailor in a lake great, you will learn fast and there will be plenty of time to learn the
nuances from sailing friends and reading in time to come.
Some basic must have on board, adequate ground tackle, a decent knife and a working radio.
If the dock in the pictures will be home, you might consider making up a fenderboard to protect the boat
from the dock and pilings. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Jimmy,
Interesting videos.

You should probably ignore my comment about raising the swing keel on downwind headings for now. The reason sailors will sometimes do this is to get an extra half or quarter knot of speed out of the boat when racing. If you are not racing there is really no reason to do this as the swing keel adds to your boats stability and may help reduce the rolling motion when going down wind. The swing keel is also a kind of 'depth finder' in shallow water.

It has to be nice to have a 12V winch for raising and lowering the swing keel. I hope you still have a manual means for raising and lowering in case the battery(s) get exhausted.

I'd stick with the sailing basics for now as you likely learned a lot of boating skills while power boating. Learning how to put a reef in your main sail and/or jib on windy days is a basic sailing skill I'd work on. If you get into racing there are a whole lot of other subtleties to learn.

You are absolutely right about the quietness one experiences when cruising through the water under sail power. You could sneak up on Gators snoozing in the sun whereas they would hear a power boat a mile away. It is so quiet you could even whip out a guitar and hear yourself playing over the sound of lapping waves. I think that the lack of engine noise also makes it a nearly ideal fishing platform - if you're into that sort of thing.
Nice videos. Thanks for sharing.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2010

otisgudlyfe is on a distinguished road
Welcome Aboard

OK, Jimmy, now yer bit.....the bad news....it only gets better!!!
Old 12-28-2010
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard. Sailing is very addictive,the more you sail, the more you want to sail. You will find you spend you idle time reading about sailing and you nights spent dreaming of sailing. The old adage about the 2 best days of owning a sailboat (the day you bought it and the day you sell it) are completely false, the time between those 2 days are for great memories and much fun. Enjoy her and given your options, Y-Knot?
Old 12-28-2010

billinmn is on a distinguished road
Jim isn't this sailing thing a hoot? I got a 23' Watkins given to me a 1 1/2 years ago .the guy tried to sell it but it was to big of an eye sore and know one wanted it.He called up and said I was the only one that took and interest in it and I could have it if I removed it from his yard right away. Well I got it home and knew zip about sailing so my youngest daughter and I rig in the driveway by looking at a 1976 sales Boucher for this boat. Not knowing where the shrouds went or the stays or that they were even called that . got the sails up and we went sailing, What a rush that was. I have a fishing boat with a 150 hp on it but haven't used it in a year and a half ,just sail because I like too. Remember it's just a boat so don't run into anything and don't fall off and you'll be fine.I'll be reading along on your adventure. Bill & Crew
Old 12-29-2010

JustJimmy is on a distinguished road
cb-If you ever decide to fly down to sunny central Florida you can sail with me and show me the ropes (I mean sheets!) I have a great friend in Minneapolis so maybe one day you can take me sailing on one of the 10000 lakes up there when I visit her!!

Hugo- Thanks for the advice. I do have pretty good ground tackle, I have a couple of Leathermans on board, and I have a Cobra VHF radio with a mast mounted antenna! I am learning a lot from reading the posts on this awesome forum!!

Caleb- I am not racing quite yet, but do plan to learn in the future. I am a speed junkie but for now I am enjoying the slower pace. The winch on the swing keel does have a manual function in case of battery issues. It is very handy and has a micro switch which will shut the winch down when it is fully retracted to keep from damaging things. It also stops the winch once it is all the way down. I will post a video of how if functions on my next outing. It is funny you mentioned it but I have been playing guitar for 20 years so I certainly plan on drifting away into my music while sitting in a bay! I also love to fish and the boat has a Humminbird 570 Dual Beam Depth/Fish finder installed. I have been fishing since the age of 4. I am not the most knowledgeable fisherman, but I usually catch fish since I do not try to catch them! I just enjoy the art of casting and reeling. My patience usually results in some ripped lips!!

Otis-I love the bad news!!

Mccary- I have found myself watching videos about sailing on YouTube. While I was stuck trying to figure out how to go back up wind, I pulled out my iPhone, logged onto YouTube, and found a video about how to tack!! Next thing you know I was moving along like it was second nature!!

Billinm-That is soooo cool. I learned how to rig mine the same way...Found pics and videos of Helsen 22's online and just practiced rigging it until it was set up properly. My daughter is a very busy senior in High School plus captain of the soccer team so I look forward to the weekend that she has time for me to take her sailing and teach her what I have learned thus far!

Thanks again everyone!! I am very glad to have joined each of you in a community of wind powered enthusiasts!!

~Just Jimmy
Old 12-29-2010

JustJimmy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
If the dock in the pictures will be home, you might consider making up a fenderboard to protect the boat
from the dock and pilings. Good luck.
Oh yeah, I failed to mention that she is a trailer queen!! This is just a boat ramp. She sleeps in my driveway itching to drive to the next destination. She has a 12V remote control mast stepping system which allows for 1 person set up. It has an A-Frame made from fiberglass and composite material which fits the deck precisely. I will post a video of it as well!!
Old 12-29-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJimmy View Post
cb-If you ever decide to fly down to sunny central Florida you can sail with me and show me the ropes (I mean sheets!) I have a great friend in Minneapolis so maybe one day you can take me sailing on one of the 10000 lakes up there when I visit her!!
Thanks Jimmy! I will keep that in mind if I ever get tired of the snow and cold. I would be more than happy to take you out if you get up here in the summer.The boat club I belong to is on Lake Minnetonka. And of course, your friend can come too.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 12-29-2010
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJimmy View Post

I am a speed junkie

Then just wait until the first time you get a sailboat up on a plane. That's a rush like no other!

I watched your video and you mentioned you never knew why people liked to sail. It's very much dependent on participation. For the most part, sailing is a very boring sport to watch. You have to be there.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 12-29-2010 at 08:39 AM.