Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Some basic must have on board, adequate ground tackle, a decent knife and a working radio.
If the dock in the pictures will be home, you might consider making up a fenderboard to protect the boat
from the dock and pilings. Good luck.
You might also want a bucket
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJimmy View Post
Oh yeah, I failed to mention that she is a trailer queen!! This is just a boat ramp. She sleeps in my driveway itching to drive to the next destination. She has a 12V remote control mast stepping system which allows for 1 person set up. It has an A-Frame made from fiberglass and composite material which fits the deck precisely. I will post a video of it as well!!
I would be very interested in seeing the A-frame and maybe a few pictures or video of how you do this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-29-2010

JustJimmy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Then just wait until the first time you get a sailboat up on a plane. That's a rush like no other!

I watched your video and you mentioned you never knew why people liked to sail. It's very much dependent on participation. For the most part, sailing is a very boring sport to watch. You have to be there.
I look forward to that rush! I have to agree! It always looked boring but I had a blast just cruising around Lake Parker! I cannot wait until my skills are good enough for me to get into the Gulf!! It is like golf..I cannot watch golf unless I am at the Masters, but I sure love to play it!!
Old 12-29-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Nice, Jimmy. Congrats and Welcome to Sailing. The smile on your face explains it all. I'm hooked too.

Sounds like you have a very nicely equipped boat. Looking forward to seeing more video.

Last edited by carl762; 12-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Congrats Jimmy. I know what you mean about powerboating, that is where I came from. Until only a couple years ago, but it was a kayak, not a sailboat that actually started to make me realize all the sites, sounds, wildlife and things you see while slowly passing by. Flying by a full throttle can by fun but you just missed everything not to mention scare all the marine and wildlife away.

I was always facinated by sailboats. I would love looking at them far out in the water with the sunset behind them and sails raised to the sky. Its just ashame I waited so long to get into this. It is better late then never and although I missed out, I am in now. Yes it is extremely addicting and I have a problem that when its a nice day, I can't seem to do or want to do anything but sail or kayak too.

I enjoy watching sailing videos on youtube when I can't sail. I even rewatched mine numerous times over. I made several of them, even kayaking videos, maybe these can help you stay busy until you can go sailing again. You will actually notice my learning process develop through the videos. My first day out, NO sails up at all just a motor out and back in. The next time out, I put up the main, after that full sails. Then I started single handing her on several trips out. I finally overnighted with a friend back in early September as can be seen in one of the videos. When I say beautiful night, that is an understatement! I am talking perfect 72 degree weather, super clear stary night. I was able to lay in my V birth and look up through the hatch and stare at the stars. What was neat, as my boat would swing slowly back and forth on anchor, it was basically panning my view across the sky.

Check them out... YouTube - warspite2's Channel

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 12-29-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJimmy View Post

... It is funny you mentioned it but I have been playing guitar for 20 years so I certainly plan on drifting away into my music while sitting in a bay! I also love to fish and the boat has a Humminbird 570 Dual Beam Depth/Fish finder installed.

~Just Jimmy
I saw the subject matter of your videos on facebook so I knew you played guitar and wrestled Gators among other interests. I figured that since you were a dude from FL with a lot of power boat experience then why would you not like football or fishing or both!
On overnight boat trips I like to have my fiddle and/or a guitar on board as well.

Enjoy winter sailing in FL.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2010

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
"Y Knot lives on a trailor and has an 12 volt mast stepping system"...Jimmy, When your finished exploring
all those lakes and the gulf...head on up north, your set up is perfect for transiting the Erie Canal from the Hudson River to Lake Erie. I'll let you know when the
ice melts!!! Hugo
Old 07-10-2011

JustJimmy is on a distinguished road
I have been away from this forum for awhile and I felt it necessary to send an update on my learning progress. I sailed quite a few times in Lakeland and have since moved to Punta Gorda Florida. I am situated on a Canal with a 5 min ride to Charlotte Bay. I have been out in some pretty heavy winds and tall waves and have really started to learn how to manipulate the wind!! I am completely and fully addicted but at least I can admit it

Punta Gorda is an amazing community full of sailors. I have yet to take a formal class but I have learned quite a bit just by trial and error. My fiance has even learned a little bit. Here is a good story,,, We were sailing one day with some pretty stout winds and the hum from the keel line was loud and quite pleasant to hear. I asked Juliana if she wanted to take over and she turned white as a ghost and shook her head no. I waited another 10 mins and asked her to sit next to me. After a few moments I said, "Hold this for a second (the tiller)." Then I handed her the main sheet and said, "can you hold this for me as well? I need to do something important up front." I made my way to the front of the boat and pretended to be busy. 5 more minutes went by and I looked back at Juliana and noticed that she was smiling and oblivious to what I was doing. She was a real natural and she even began to plane when the wind picked up!! I yelled with excitement, "Baby!!! You are sailing!!!" She screamed, "I Love this!!!"

Now she is eager to handle the tiller and the main sheet without question!! What a great hobby to enjoy with the one you Love!!

Happy Sailing everyone!! I will post new pics soon!!