Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
While not a PS subscriber, too much like consumers reports.....not always correct test methods etc IMHO......

I do have xls extra as halyards and sheets. I do like the feel, less stretch that staset for not that much more. Along with the ability to color code different parts of the running rigging. IE blue/white for mainsail, red/blue for jibs, green blue for the spin.

Takes a pretty good blow to stretch the main/jib halyards.

Marty
One thing you have hit on is that much of choosing, in the end, is application and opinion. For example, Stay Set-X:
* A slight improvement in stretch control, but only about 25%, as I recall.
* A big increase in tangles. Too stiff and doesn't coil as well.
* Does not run through blocks as well.
* Not nearly as durable as most high modulus lines, and thus not a good value over time in some applications (and I am a cheap skate--I use both sorts of line, each where it is the best value).

Some of this could be reduced to numbers, but not all of it. Some people like a rope with a stiff hand.

and so PS uses honest reviewers that express honest opinions. With many products there really is no "best" because of variations in needs.

Those items that lend themselves to laboratory-like testing are tested in that manner. Sometimes there are no ASTM or other recognized tests. Sometimes exhaustive testing would be crushingly expensive. They say what they did and report what happened. Given the lack of advertising to pay for it all and the limited circulation (way smaller than CR!) I think they do a lot.

No, I don't agree with all of it. I write in occasionally. But I respect anyone that runs tests squarely and reports results honestly.

Regarding stretch and halyards, it depends on the boat. My current boat uses Stay-Set and that's fine. My last boat I converted from wire to a 2-part purchase with a Kevlar line. Worked fine. After that wore out (10 years!), I went to Stay-Set X, which was a failure; far to stretchy and more prone to tangle. Later I re-tasked the halyard for other things and still did not care for how it handled. Personally (personal opinion) I think Stay-Set X is a pointless product, while Stay-Set and their high-mod lines are great.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 01-01-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2011

boomvangdc is on a distinguished road
You can buy individual issues of Practical Sailor articles on their website for $10 apiece.

We covered the article you are talking about. Might find the information you need here: Practical Sailor Tests 26 Samples of Rigging | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor.
Old 01-03-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Well, firstly, its a pommy publication.

Secondly they have nothing to do for 6-8 months of the year while the big freeze is on, except to plot, plan, build, rebuild, assess and report on whatever has taken their nautical fancy. So they print it in PS, which takes 3 months to arrive here.

Saying that, its a good mag, better than CH from which I actually know quite a few of the regulars and have been thorough most of the dramas they write about, dont own a fantastic plastic quattro hulled fad. etc etc

Andy, you are letting me ramble.
And what does "pommy" mean?
Old 01-04-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
'Pommy' is a slang term used alot here in Australia.... meaning something is British. It derives from POM ( prisoner of Mother England).

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreywoodworking View Post
This thread starts out functionally enough, a member asking about PS ratings on running rigging. But then it slides into a personal conversation between three, one of whom is a moderator. Isn't the the realm of private messages?

That's what killed the first Sailnet. Lots of good questions, lots of good replies, but then an occasional few, glued to their keyboards (like the Telstar 28) chatting with their buddies, and generating more messages than real sail content.
Someone was having a fun and happy New Years Eve

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.