SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Practical Sailor

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  chall03 
#1 ·
...anyone subscribe? What is the subscriber rate for back issue articles?

Related: If anyone can pass along the results from their october 2010 issue regarding running rigging, I would appreciate it ;-)

#2 ·
I have the Nov. 2010 which includes "line abrasion test" results. If that's what you're interested in let me know specifically what you want to know (type of use, size, etc.).

#3 ·
I think that's the one; on their website, the article was titled " Testers Examine Running Rigging Options " I am thinking of buying NE ropes VPC or Samson XLS extra T for halyards and I dont want to make a mistake....

If have info you want to share, please pass it along. I am thinking of subscribing, but I dont see that they let you search old issues without charging you more money. Right now, I need info on those two ropes so I can call a rigger to make me some halyards before the snow melts and it gets way too busy.

#4 ·
We subscribe to only two sailing magazines, Practical Sailor and Good Old Boat. Happy with both of them and look forward to recieving each issue.

As for back issue, I could do so but not for a few weeks.

If you still need around third week January, message me.

#7 ·
As for back issue, I could do so but not for a few weeks.

If you still need around third week January, message me.
Is that when the issue in question rotates out of the Crapper Library of Nautical Navel Gazing?

Don't ask about the pages that stick together. Just, don't. The answer involves pilothouses, deck saloons, solar sticks and terriers so smart they make Stevie Hawking type D....A....Y....U....M....

#5 ·
NE Ropes VPC 3/8": Given a "recommended" rating. "Our favorite in this grouping (mid-range value) was NE Ropes VPC. This line isn't as nice to handle as the all polyester braids, but it has 50% less stretch, super abrasion resistance, and a price that is half that of top contenders."

Samson XLS Extra T 7/16": "Samson entered a larger 7/16" diameter sample of XLS Extra-T, and even with the extra diameter advantage, its stretch was greater than VPC. However, this tuned up XLS has many excellent attributes. It slips onot and grips a winch drum nicely and handles very well, making it an excellent choice for sheets - if you can handle the extra expense."

Samson's "Amsteel" was well thought of among the more expensive. "Makes a superb halyard."

#15 ·
I replaced my main halyard with VPC last year a like it a lot. I don't think VPC would work for sheets but its great for low stretch applications like halyards where you only handle it putting the sail up and taking it down.

I would advise you to check if your clutches will accept a line one size smaller and if they will consider going with the smaller line. I used the same size and with VPC's low stretch properties feel like I could have saved some weight aloft going with a size smaller and still had less stretch than with lower performance line.

I plan to replace my jib halyard with VPC this winter and I for sure will go one size smaller on it assuming it works with my clutches.

#13 ·
ah, but I am, sort of. Installing new auto pilot and solar panels before we bugger off for a few weeks. Had hoped to disappear New Years Eve, still looking to get down to Jervis.

Now tis night so its off to beddy byes for me. Big day tomorrow.

ps - Jiffy Lube .. that is a tad irksome I agree.

#16 ·
While not a PS subscriber, too much like consumers reports.....not always correct test methods etc IMHO......

I do have xls extra as halyards and sheets. I do like the feel, less stretch that staset for not that much more. Along with the ability to color code different parts of the running rigging. IE blue/white for mainsail, red/blue for jibs, green blue for the spin.

Takes a pretty good blow to stretch the main/jib halyards.

Marty

#21 · (Edited)
While not a PS subscriber, too much like consumers reports.....not always correct test methods etc IMHO......

I do have xls extra as halyards and sheets. I do like the feel, less stretch that staset for not that much more. Along with the ability to color code different parts of the running rigging. IE blue/white for mainsail, red/blue for jibs, green blue for the spin.

Takes a pretty good blow to stretch the main/jib halyards.

Marty
One thing you have hit on is that much of choosing, in the end, is application and opinion. For example, Stay Set-X:
* A slight improvement in stretch control, but only about 25%, as I recall.
* A big increase in tangles. Too stiff and doesn't coil as well.
* Does not run through blocks as well.
* Not nearly as durable as most high modulus lines, and thus not a good value over time in some applications (and I am a cheap skate--I use both sorts of line, each where it is the best value).

Some of this could be reduced to numbers, but not all of it. Some people like a rope with a stiff hand.

and so PS uses honest reviewers that express honest opinions. With many products there really is no "best" because of variations in needs.

Those items that lend themselves to laboratory-like testing are tested in that manner. Sometimes there are no ASTM or other recognized tests. Sometimes exhaustive testing would be crushingly expensive. They say what they did and report what happened. Given the lack of advertising to pay for it all and the limited circulation (way smaller than CR!) I think they do a lot.

No, I don't agree with all of it. I write in occasionally. But I respect anyone that runs tests squarely and reports results honestly.

Regarding stretch and halyards, it depends on the boat. My current boat uses Stay-Set and that's fine. My last boat I converted from wire to a 2-part purchase with a Kevlar line. Worked fine. After that wore out (10 years!), I went to Stay-Set X, which was a failure; far to stretchy and more prone to tangle. Later I re-tasked the halyard for other things and still did not care for how it handled. Personally (personal opinion) I think Stay-Set X is a pointless product, while Stay-Set and their high-mod lines are great.

#18 ·
Shame on the moderator

This thread starts out functionally enough, a member asking about PS ratings on running rigging. But then it slides into a personal conversation between three, one of whom is a moderator. Isn't the the realm of private messages?

That's what killed the first Sailnet. Lots of good questions, lots of good replies, but then an occasional few, glued to their keyboards (like the Telstar 28) chatting with their buddies, and generating more messages than real sail content.

#20 ·
This thread starts out functionally enough, a member asking about PS ratings on running rigging. But then it slides into a personal conversation between three, one of whom is a moderator. Isn't the the realm of private messages?

That's what killed the first Sailnet. Lots of good questions, lots of good replies, but then an occasional few, glued to their keyboards (like the Telstar 28) chatting with their buddies, and generating more messages than real sail content.
Sorry to hurt your feelings, but the back and forth bantering is what makes Sail Net kind of neat. That's why this thread is in General Discussion, instead of Gear & Maintenance or Seamanship. :D

#19 ·
If you are a tech kinda person, you will like it. It is written from technical point of view. Their test simulate usage. The simulation may not be your application, but the test allow you to judge for yourself and make an educated decison before invest your time in a product. I find it useful it useful and entertaining, but I chose function over form.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.