Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010

YeahJohn is on a distinguished road
Sailing with a dog?

Does anybody sail with a dog on board? Yesterday we had a break in the weather and I took my dog out for a sail! He did okay on the boat but I was interested to see how many others sail with their dog's.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2010
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
We have a Maltese who has lived on the boat most of her life. She has made 6 or seven passages to and from the Caribbean. She was trained to use "puppy pads" since she was a puppy. It is funny watching her get her sea legs. She was the first Cruising Rally Association Salty Dog dog
Old 12-29-2010

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
We sail with our dog all the time

We have a Aussie Cattle dog mix that we take all the time. Here are some pics on our boat and a friends boat.

I highly recommend getting a life jacket. A good one with more then just the straps on the bottom. If the dog goes over, then the handle on the top is a big help in getting them back on board.

Plus, when you attach a leash (like you did in the photo) you can attach it to the jacket and not the collar. That way you don't strangle the dog if it goes over.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing with a dog?-img00063-20100522-1436.jpg   Sailing with a dog?-small.jpg  
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald View Post
It is funny watching her get her sea legs.
It is funny. Our dog hates the wake from power boats and when she hears a power boat coming, she sprawls out to get ready for the wake.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 12-29-2010

I am pretty sure my dog is a better swimmer than I am. We both spend plenty of days at the beach, but my wife really thinks he needs a life vest so that will happen soon I am sure. Right now he is still young but I would like to be able to take him out some, so it is good to know that you guys have adventurous pets. I am pretty sure that dogs cant be at catalina island because of past disease issues, and that is our only cursing destination. He can handle a few hours out so that is good enough. What brand dog life vest do you use? Thanks.

John
Old 12-29-2010
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahJohn View Post
I am pretty sure my dog is a better swimmer than I am. We both spend plenty of days at the beach, but my wife really thinks he needs a life vest so that will happen soon I am sure. Right now he is still young but I would like to be able to take him out some, so it is good to know that you guys have adventurous pets. I am pretty sure that dogs cant be at catalina island because of past disease issues, and that is our only cursing destination. He can handle a few hours out so that is good enough. What brand dog life vest do you use? Thanks.

John

The life vest does make it easier to get them onboard for when/if they fall over. My dog was accidentally knocked into the water a time or two by people.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 12-29-2010

Dog Life Vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahJohn View Post
I am pretty sure my dog is a better swimmer than I am.
The life vest isn't because of the dogs lack of swimming ability. It is mainly to get the dog back on the boat. Try lifting a dog over the gunwales.

I am not sure on the brand we currently have, but don't get the westmarine ones. I'll look at the brand when I am home.
Old 12-29-2010

glassdad is on a distinguished road
Many years ago we took our Great Dane to Catalina. He did not like the trip over but loved wandering around the city of Avalon (on the leash).
The Two Harbors website say this about dogs:

Dogs
Dogs must be leashed at all times. Always clean up after your pet. Free refuse bags are available at the end of the pier. Do not tie dogs to patio, walkways or other places, or leave them unattended. The Catalina fox population is still recovering from an outbreak of canine distemper virus. Prior to coming ashore, please make sure your pets have all their current shots, including the distemper vaccination.

You should not have a problem there if you follow the rules.
Old 12-29-2010

Thanks. That helps a bunch. I am not sure if our dog could handle the trip over... the night on the boat... and the trip back... Good to know regardless. Thanks glassdad.
Old 12-29-2010

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
We have a pug, chinese crested, brussel griffon mix. I wish I knew how to post a picture, because it is ugly. You can go to Flash Intro Page to see his web site. He has sailed with us all his life and loves the boat. He also hates powerboats and the louder they are the more he barks. He jumped off a dock last year and my wife who can not swim, jumped in after him. Not a smart move but I managed to save her after I got the dog out. Anyway our experience is that if you start them young they are right at home on a boat.