Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Sailed last night

I managed to get a good sail in last night and took some pictures to boot. Looking for crew for the January 1st sail, if you are interested, let me know.

You may be wondering how I managed to do a midweek sail...

I had a full skin cancer screening yesterday evening. Got a clean bill of health. I'm planning to go back every year. All these watersports aren't so good for the skin. If you haven't gotten a screening recently, GET ONE!

Anyway, the doctor's office was reasonably close to the marina, so I went to check on the boat and see how she did after the 17 inches of snow we got. The deck was pretty clear due to winds. The docks were all perfectly clear. The boat was still plugged in and everything looked good. I decided to take her out. Think of it as a make-up session from when I decided that Sunday's blizzard was too severe to do some docking practice -- at least by the time I was ready, the winds had really come up.

Last night the winds were pretty light. I motored out (upwind) a little ways and then sailed back under jib only. I didn't want to leave the cockpit to get the main up and this was really meant to be a short sail, so I kept it that way.

The deck was pretty slippery from the remnants of snow, even though I shovelled a bunch before heading out. Best to stay in the cockpit.

Here's a shot of the deck. Not the most interesting picture, but it was the best lit from the hand held spotlight.

The running rigging was stiff from embedded ice. The starboard helm was covered in ice - but only on the top where you normally put your hands. During the blizzard, I had it turned 180 degrees and the "top" was down in the snow.

There were no other boats in sight. No one else at the marina. No sign of life except lights on the shore. I went below to turn the running light on, prior to starting the engine. I thought about skipping that step, 100 yards from the marina, since things can get busy close-in. But I turned it on anyway. There wasn't anyone around to see it though. I didn't bother turning on the Christmas lights, and it was nice sailing in the dark.

Here's a shot of the top of the jib.

And a shot of the bottom of the jib.

I didn't want to much weather helm from sailing with just the jib, so I let the jib out a little extra. It seemed to work out ok.

It was dark so my Droid camera didn't capture pictures too well. I used the handheld spotlight to help get these few images.

Here's the number 1 bouy, passed under sail. I passed close to it. The cell phone camera makes it look farther than it was. This part of Hempstead harbor was more sheltered from the wind, they were very light at this point.

I didn't want to sail all the way to where things get narrow right near the slip, not solo anyway. So I furled the sail just outside the entrance to the little harbor. (I like to run the furling line back to one of the jib sheet winches. They are much bigger winches and it makes the job easier.) Furling was a bit interesting because I like to keep tension on the sheets when furling the jib onto it's drum. But the sheets were crusted with ice, so they were cutting into my hand some as I let them slip through my hand with tension. So instead I grabbed both sheet with my hand raised up in the air behind me and then as I furled, I'd move my arm forward. This worked for about 4 feet of sheet movement at a time. So in small sections I got the job done right. Next time I'll go below and get my gloves.

Back at the dock, I used tie-wraps and a galley drying rack to securely mount a 75 watt lightbulb in the forward head.

Besides that "heater" I have a space heater set on low in the salon, and a 75 watt bilge-type heater in the engine compartment.

I'm really looking forward to the New Year's Day sail to Stamford Connecticut and back. I've invited a ton of people via my usual email. But for some reason only two of our sailnet members, David and Peter, plus Peter's brother replied with a "yes". If you want to sail, let me know. It should be a great sunny day. If you are near Stamford, you could join us for lunch in Stamford and the return trip. DavidPM will be driving back past Stamford and would surely give you a ride back to your car. Peter and his brother are coming from Old Saybrook, so there are some opportunities there too.

In fact, since the crew will be more experienced, I'm wondering if we should move the trip to the next day. There will be rain part of the day but more wind and there's a great Sunday brunch right at the Brewers marina at the former Rusty Scupper. But with the date set and the crew making plans, we'll stick to January 1st and suffer through some lesser lunch in town somewhere.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 12-30-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I got your email - thanks. And believe, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I weren't in Texas. You guys have fun. We'll be out on NYD too and will raise a toast in your hard-ass honor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-30-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
As usual I am impressed by your thick (and now certified cancer-free) skin.

We had some cold weather and snow (actually fairly rare around here) a few weeks ago and I had the same issue with frozen running rigging. I lifted them out of the snow and tied them to the mast; not sure if it made a difference as it had warmed up by my next visit to the boat. But man, they sure did cut through my hands.

The lines I was most worried about, however, was the docklines. There was probably no cause for worry as we don't get any wave action in my marina. The thing that concerned me was the loss of elasticity in the lines and the possibility that they might part under strain. I couldn't even adjust them, because the figure-eights on the cleat were frozen solid.

A dockmate of mine does the same thing with the light-bulb that you've got going on, with a twist. He says he's worried about the UV that the bulb produces degrading stuff in his cabin, so he screwed the fixture down to a wooden board and put a large metal can, cut from some sort of pipe, over it, also screwed down, with metal lid attached on top. All the metal bits are painted black and there is space for air to flow. However, no light can get out.
Old 12-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Adam,

Your next post will be your 1,000th. Congratulations!!! Contrary to the rumor I'm starting, you don't get a free beer and a t-shirt.

Great idea on the bulb-heater. We only have a couple months of real winter down here (usually, early January to early March), so I don't plan building anything that sophisticated.

Good idea on elevating the lines out of the snow. Up in BC you guys are the real masters of winter!

Regards,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
As usual I am impressed by your thick (and now certified cancer-free) skin.

We had some cold weather and snow (actually fairly rare around here) a few weeks ago and I had the same issue with frozen running rigging. I lifted them out of the snow and tied them to the mast; not sure if it made a difference as it had warmed up by my next visit to the boat. But man, they sure did cut through my hands.

The lines I was most worried about, however, was the docklines. There was probably no cause for worry as we don't get any wave action in my marina. The thing that concerned me was the loss of elasticity in the lines and the possibility that they might part under strain. I couldn't even adjust them, because the figure-eights on the cleat were frozen solid.

A dockmate of mine does the same thing with the light-bulb that you've got going on, with a twist. He says he's worried about the UV that the bulb produces degrading stuff in his cabin, so he screwed the fixture down to a wooden board and put a large metal can, cut from some sort of pipe, over it, also screwed down, with metal lid attached on top. All the metal bits are painted black and there is space for air to flow. However, no light can get out.
Old 12-30-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I grew up on Long Island. Believe it or not, your winters are way more severe.

People around here have never heard of snow tires, and if the snow actually sticks to the ground and doesn't melt away immediately, all hell breaks loose.

The prospect that the surface of the water around my boat might freeze is almost unheard of.

Mostly, around here, winter means that everything is wet, all the time.
Old 12-30-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
I think we are back to a more normal winter after a lucky streak of mild ones as after living here a good while and seeing the Sound freeze over the already good and cold streak has cooled the water to the point of a very easy freeze as we get into the harsher parts of winter

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I think we are back to a more normal winter after a lucky streak of mild ones as after living here a good while and seeing the Sound freeze over the already good and cold streak has cooled the water to the point of a very easy freeze as we get into the harsher parts of winter
Tom,

At some point I'll call my insurance company and tell them to start the official (cheaper insurance) layup period. Merkel insurance doesn't care if you layup on land or on the water, you just can't use your boat. But you can still go on her to work on her.

I'm thinking January 20th to March 1st. What do you think, given the weather? Will the sound get too frozen to sail before then? I don't want to play ice breaker, especially if I'm sailing at night.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 12-30-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Brad, I'm potentially interested in your Jan 1 sail if you want to have me along. I've been itching to get on the water this weekend ever since I saw the forecast high of 50 on Sat. I live aboard in Boston, and my boat is shrinkwrapped, so I can't go on my boat. I tried to PM you and email you, but it seems your PM box is full and you have it set to not allow emails. I'm not sure if my schedule would work out, but if you could PM me some details (where you're sailing from and what time) and your email address, perhaps we could figure something out. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

rmeador,

Yes, Sailnet sent me an email that my mailbox was full and that you tried sending me a PM. My apologies. I've cleared the mailbox out a bit.

There are a couple people coming from Connecticut for the sail. You might want to carpool with them. They are in Old Say brook and Westport. Email me at

b-sn at hallmont dott com

and I'll add you to the email thread we have going.

Regards,
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Brad, I'm potentially interested in your Jan 1 sail if you want to have me along. I've been itching to get on the water this weekend ever since I saw the forecast high of 50 on Sat. I live aboard in Boston, and my boat is shrinkwrapped, so I can't go on my boat. I tried to PM you and email you, but it seems your PM box is full and you have it set to not allow emails. I'm not sure if my schedule would work out, but if you could PM me some details (where you're sailing from and what time) and your email address, perhaps we could figure something out. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Hi Brad, Your post made me smile...My boat was pulled last week and just covered before the storm. We sail out of Manhasset Bay thru most of Dec. and then as early as we can in March.
Very interested in Jan. 1st sail. (or another winter sail)
Have some experienced cold weather crew that may be interested if you want.
Let me know. Thanks, Hugo