Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011

GraemeInCanada is on a distinguished road
I've managed to pull up about 30 pounds of seaweed once or twice.. another fun thing was a huge starfish that hung on all the way up and on deck. We actively had to get the thing off and plop him into the water.

Old 03-08-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemeInCanada View Post
I've managed to pull up about 30 pounds of seaweed once or twice.. another fun thing was a huge starfish that hung on all the way up and on deck. We actively had to get the thing off and plop him into the water.

That looks like Pycnopodia helianthoides, a.k.a. the sunflower star. They get a lot bigger. I've seen them a meter or more across.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011

SpcAlan1 is on a distinguished road
Lake Lanier - simply put!
man made lake over houses,fences,power lines - you name it.
I have anchored a record number of time ( 4 ) - I am am 4/4 on having to cut the anchor.
Old 03-08-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcAlan1 View Post
Lake Lanier - simply put!
man made lake over houses,fences,power lines - you name it.
I have anchored a record number of time ( 4 ) - I am am 4/4 on having to cut the anchor.
Amazing. That's something we don't have to deal with on the coast.

If you had the GPS location of the anchor, could a diver go back and get it for you? (Or is that too expensive a proposition.)

Another question... are maps of the old town available so you can anchor over a farm instead of an old power line or house?

Regards,
Brad

Added: After googling the lake I came across this description of the lake when the water level was much lower than normal.

from here: Lake Lanier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The record-low lake levels had revealed parts of the lake bottom not seen since the 1950s, when approximately 700 families were moved from the area to create the lake. An abandoned stretch of Georgia Highway 53 ran along one edge of new shoreline, and concrete foundations from homes and part of what was once the Gainesville's Looper Speedway were uncovered. More recent additions to the lake - including discarded trash, boat batteries and even sunken boats - were discovered, and local efforts to clean up the lake bottom were organized. Several automobiles, some stolen, and discarded firearms were also recovered by law enforcement officials.
Also this article: Students Map Out Lake Lanier : The Compass
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 03-08-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We haven't snagged our anchor on anything. However, while anchored in Charleston we had a trawler, also trying to find a spot in the same anchorage, snag our anchor with theirs. Not happy with their spot, they hauled their anchor most of the way in with ours still caught. Being the middle of the night and not realizing they had our anchor, they took off at about 3-4kts out of the anchorage - dragging us with them. It was about a 1/2nm before we could finally get their attention (I was awake but had to wake my family up quickly). If it had been much farther they would have dragged us into a 3ft depth area and we draw 6ft. Once we got their attention, they stopped, we tied up next to them, untangled our hooks, put one down and got to know them a bit better over a cup of coffee.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-08-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
in 1972 hooked a section of wrought iron railing off catalina island, CA. took two of us pulling like H to get it up. in 1991 hooked a waterlogged 7" dia. log in quarry bay off stockton island in the apostles on lake superior at the end of a delivery of a 36' grand banks from belfast, maine. that one was hard to get up also.
Old 03-08-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
The second or third time I backed out our new-to-us Catalina 30 out of it's slip, I managed to hook the anchor laying in the bow roller onto the walk line tied between slips.