Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
What have you snagged your anchor on?

While freediving for blackfish (yum!) I found an anchor left snagged in a pile of rocks and boulders. This actually happened twice in the same spot, the western end of Fisher's Island in Long Island Sound. I gave them both to the owner of the boat we were diving off, having no use for anchors at the time.

Have you ever snagged your anchor? If so, do you have any idea what you snagged it on? Also, did you have to cut it away?

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 12-31-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Crab trap, small rotten log and a bottom-lying cable (twice).

The crab trap came up OK, (empty) and we hadn't dragged overnight. Both cable incidents we retrieved the anchor with great effort (no windlass) and flipped the bight of the cable off the anchor at the surface.

Once saw a boat drag clear across the Newcastle Island anchorage finally pull his anchor to reset and it came up nicely contained in a plastic pail.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-30-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Nothing snagged really, I had a octopus hitch a ride on my anchor all the way to the surface then slid off and then a buddy down the dock drop anchor in the same anchorage and came up with a pair of oakly sunglasses.

Looking forward to the next trip up there, no telling what prize we might hook

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 12-31-2010

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Snagging the chain around rocks has been the most common problem I have encountered. Dead coral boulders are common in tropical waters and even when the anchor is set in sand the chain can loop around these boulders as the boat swings..
Often the boat can be freed by motoring around in circles, but sometimes you need to dive and attach a rope to the chain to pull it free.
I have not abandoned an anchor yet, but once came close after many attempts failed. I was anchored in 12m of water which was on my limit for free diving ability. Just when I was about to give up a boat with scuba tanks on the back deck anchored next door.

In non tropical waters old mooring chain is the biggest offender, but this is usually easily dealt with by looping rope under the chain. Having an anchor that sets rapidly first time minimises the instances of these problems and a powerfull anchor winch also helps.

My new boat has scuba tanks, but BCD and regulator are still on the list to sort out. I would hate to leave a Rocna 55 on the bottom
Old 12-31-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I've cut away some chain and anchor on two occasions when I was in a strong current in turbid water and not willing to risk a dive. Once I had raised the chain enough to see that I was among some cement and rebar that had been dumped and the second time I never saw anything, but I think it was Jimmy Hoffa's car!
Old 12-31-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Anchored in close to the Ferry Terminal in Marigot, St. Martin last year I had cleared out alone for the BVI and was to depart around 1am, but had trouble getting my anchor up.

Old 12-31-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
I have hooked 2 sunken boats, a 5 ton mooring block, some 1" chain and multiple abandoned anchors. The 5 ton mooring block was the worst since our windlass (big hydraulic unit on a 92' boat) didn't have the power to lift it. We ended up being able to untangle the mess at low tide but we never anchored quite as close to another mooring ball again.
Old 12-31-2010
RNC725

RNC725 is on a distinguished road
a fairly new looking Coleman Cooler sans beverages...

I knew something was on the end, just figured it was a log or chain or something, somehow when it appeared out of the water the lid was almost tightly shut so I just "assumed" there would/could be beverages inside.

There was nothing.

The sea giveth, the sea taketh away. The cooler still works though so a good time was had by all.

Happy New Year! We're taking the boat out at lunch and will return late afternoon tomorrow -- gotta love the south!

Bobby Centers
s/v CIRCLE
1967 Cal-30
Augusta, GA
Old 12-31-2010

whroeder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Have you ever snagged your anchor? If so, do you have any idea what you snagged it on?
A cement street light pole, spoil islands, Indian River, Palm Bay. Probably a erosion attempt. Hooked around the rebar.
Old 12-31-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
Snagging the chain around rocks has been the most common problem I have encountered. Dead coral boulders are common in tropical waters and even when the anchor is set in sand the chain can loop around these boulders as the boat swings..
Often the boat can be freed by motoring around in circles, but sometimes you need to dive and attach a rope to the chain to pull it free.
I have not abandoned an anchor yet, but once came close after many attempts failed. I was anchored in 12m of water which was on my limit for free diving ability. Just when I was about to give up a boat with scuba tanks on the back deck anchored next door...
Moelex,

Did you know in advance that you had the chain snagged around a boulder? I mean, since you would be laying upwind of where you would expect to be. Or did you find out after you started raising the anchor?

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .