Wanting to fulfill a life long dream of learning to sail in 2011 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011

annrose is on a distinguished road
Wanting to fulfill a life long dream of learning to sail in 2011

I am absolutely fresh to sailing and would like some advice on how to get started. I have always stood on the Quay staring at the boats or watching them in the harbours and bays and dreamed of being on deck. Well my goal of 2011 is to fulfill that desire of stepping aboard and learning how to do it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Sailnet. you will find lots of good info here and many good souls.

The fastest way to learn to sail is to join a local sailing club and take some lessons. Reading sailing books helps to reinforce the concept.

Good luck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-01-2011

annrose is on a distinguished road
sailing clubs

This will prove how new I am to sailing...Where or how would I locate a sailing club in my area?
Old 01-01-2011

JBIZZ is on a distinguished road
The best thing to do is meet sailors in your area, either through a sailing club, on the docks, or on here. Most are more than happy to teach one to sail. Many also need crew for sailboat races but races can get stressful at times & involve some knowledge in sailing.

I would suggest to search here & the web for basic points of sail info. (the direction of the wind & sail trim) & sailing terminology. Once you get on a boat several times you'll know if its right for you or not, then you can buy a small sailboat to practice before stepping up to a larger boat.
Old 01-01-2011

rorider is on a distinguished road
Look here

Quote:
Originally Posted by annrose View Post
This will prove how new I am to sailing...Where or how would I locate a sailing club in my area?

Start here...
Pictou Yacht Club in NS, Canada

Your local yacht club could steer you to instruction if they don't offer any themselves.
Old 01-01-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Annrose

Here is a list of Nova Scotia Yacht Clubs

CYA Member's Area

Pictou has a Yacht Club Welcome To The Pictou Yacht Club

Nova Scotia Sailing Schools

CYA Member's Area

Hopes that gets you started.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-01-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Nova Scotia one of our favorite destinations because of the great people. We've been as far as Cape Bretton, but have not been up in your area. Try calling the Pictou Yacht Club, and tell them of your interest.

Have a great 2011, excellent resolution!
Old 01-01-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I would first ask myself what I was going to realistically want to do over the next couple of years. As a gross generalization, small sailing clubs seem to teach on single sail dinghies (not all), which is probably the best way to get started. If you plan to sail a very small boat for the next couple of years, that's a good way to start.

On the other hand, if you want to be out there with the offshore cruisers and will be buying your own 30 footer, I would suggest a fast track cruising course. Don't over estimate your skills upon completion, but you will be jump started into the sport for sure. Those schools often use boats that have been designed to demonstrate and instruct all the sail systems of larger, typically sloop rigged, sailboats. I've seen my wife go from zero experience to a fairly good offshore mate in six months.

Don't tell her I called her the mate.

Since you have an internet browser, just do a search for sailing schools and start there. If you can afford the time and admission, I think learning in warm weather over the winter is the way to go. Some courses are as short as a week with zero prior experience. It will be sailing season shortly after you acquire your new skills and you're ready to get out there.
Old 01-01-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Congratulations, and welcome to the insanity. After checking with your local YC, get to know the people there and offer yourself up as crew to the ones you learn to trust.

Sailing on a variety of boats will make you a well rounded sailor and you'll have a blast.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-01-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
I'll start by joining everyone in welcoming you to Sail Net.

Jackdale gave you part of the answer when he suggested a list of CYA clubs in the Pictou area. FYI, CYA is short for the Canadian Yachting Association, and visiting their web site would give you a good list of local sailing schools. My bet would be that they are all in the Halifax area, but you know Nova Scotia better than I do.

The Canadian Power and Sail Squadron is another excellent training source, though they emphasize classroom work more than practical, on-the-water training. Their Basic Boating course is excellent for learning chart work and piloting. Your timing is great because most local squadrons have 12 or 13 week courses that start in January, meaning that you'll be ready for boating season. If you go to their national web site, you can find out about squadrons in the Pictou area, and when their courses start.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.