Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011
CD Typhoon "Itilldoo"

JoeM is on a distinguished road
Mooring in Cape May

Happy New Year! I'm moving from the Chesapeake to Cape May this season. I want to leave my CD Typhoon on a mooring in Cape May Harbor west of the yachtclub. This past summer there were about 15 boats in the mooring field. Is anyone using a helix in Cape May? Or are mushrooms the preferred choice? Thanks for the advice....Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2011
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you're proposing setting your own mooring or renting one of the existing. Unless I'm mistaken the mooring field is for the Corinthian Yacht Club only. I'd try calling them to see if they will rent one to you or know of any others that would be available in the harbor. Or if you want to set your own they may share what type they use. Good luck Cape May is a great place to be.
Old 01-05-2011
CD Typhoon "Itilldoo"

JoeM is on a distinguished road
Cape May Seasonal Mooring

Thanks MJB for your response and advice. I've done my due diligence with the CYC, NJDEP, NJSP Marine Division, CG Aux in Cape May, City of Cape May Licenses and Permits and the Army Corp of Engineers and the response has been fairly consistent...the chart designated mooring area west of the CYC is an "open" mooring field for seasonal and transient mooring/anchoring. The moorings and vessels are the owner's responsibility. As a responsible owner I want to ensure that my mooring gear protects my boat, other boats in the area and the waterfront property owners. The area is shallow (6 - 10ft) with a mud/sand bottom. Last fall there was a significant Nor'easter and 4 boats ended up on the shore but they were all victims of mooring pendent failure. I've tried to find the local owners but its hit and miss when I'm there.
I'm looking for some local experience/guidance on mushroom vs. helix. Any one in NJ using a self installed helix?
Old 01-05-2011
October Moon B43

Joe, while I don't know of anyone using a mooring I do know that Annapolis has an extensive mooring field and Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras also maintains a small field. If you fail to get a response from anyone you might try contacting the Annapolis Harbor Master or the Svc Mgr at Georgetown for their recommendations. Good luck.
Mike
Old 01-05-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I wish there were rental moorings and I wish there was a convinient dingy dock.

The bottom in that area is hard sand and shell, from what I remember, so I would thing the helix might be a better canidate.

The boats really work when there is a strong north wind. Make sure you aren't too shallow, or you'll pound on the bottom. Some of the boats in the field do ground at low tide.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2011
October Moon B43

No rental moorings but Utchs allows you to tie your dinghy up as long as it's out of the way. Not sure if they charge for it but I don't think so. I've seen people leave them under the ramps leading down to the transient docks.
Old 01-05-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
No rental moorings but Utchs allows you to tie your dinghy up as long as it's out of the way. Not sure if they charge for it but I don't think so. I've seen people leave them under the ramps leading down to the transient docks.
Good to know. Thanks.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.