Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011

skittles is on a distinguished road
where to moor a new "used" sailboat

I got my hands on a Islander Bahama 24 in October and it is in a boat yard, we are working on it and storing it for the winter up in Gloucester. I dont want to trailer it and wish to keep it in the water. Any ideas or suggestions on where to moor it? I really dont want to pay $$$$$ for a slip and a marina. any ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
It's getting pretty difficult to leave a keel sailboat (or any boat) anywhere for free, as waterfront "property" whether marina or permanent mooring (latter for higher tide-range areas like Gloucester), is increasingly scarce and expensive.

It's almost cheaper to just live aboard and anchor. But you can't really leave a boat for any period of time just riding on an anchor, and the availability of protected anchorages is limited too.

Down here in New Orleans (only a 1-2 foot tide here) you could 'squat' in the damaged marina slips after Katrina for several years, but as they get fixed up that option is gone. In general, the South is going to be cheaper, the Northeast and West Coast less so.

This is just general advice, others may have something more specific.
Old 01-03-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
My town permits moorings reasonably, yours might too. I bought the mooring, chain, etc, got a permit from the town ($135 annually) and pay a yard to install and remove it (perhaps $200 annually?). Much cheaper than a dock. You'll need a tender or service, the tender is a one time cost. Google your town, or the town you wish to moor in to find the town website for rules and fees.
Old 01-03-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
if you are talking about Gloucester, MA; then I would strongly suggest that you befriend some of the locals up there like Harold, from the shipbuilding museum. Or the lawyer who owns a nice dock deep inside the harbor.
Old 01-03-2011

Kiltmadoc is on a distinguished road
Also, FWIW, look at NOAA chart 13281 it clearly shows an anchorage spot just west/southwest of the inner harbor mooring area....between the north and south channels
Old 01-03-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
not to jack the thread but any info or pictures of your IB 24 interior I'm on the west coast. i own a 1966 IB 24 hull # 220 not much info available on them. BTW you will be very happy with her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
You can also check some local marinas to see if they have any available moorings to rent. BTW, my previous boat was a 1967 Islander Bahama. I happen to have an original sales brochure on the boat that I can scan and send if interested.
Old 01-03-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Even here in overpriced Northport a mooring you can row to is in the 400 dollar a year range

I prefer to pay for the launch service BUT have plenty of friends who us a cartop kayak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-03-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
i am VERY interested pm me for my email address.

Old 01-03-2011

klem is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about Gloucester, MA? There is a long list for a mooring here so your only option is to rent one. This past summer there were a few boats that had people living aboard and hopped between the harbor and Rockport but that is really frowned upon. If this isn't your local area, you may want to look into sailing the boat to a harbor closer to you without a big mooring waiting list.

What yard is the boat in right now?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.