Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
To be filed under "It seemed like a good idea at the time".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Some West epoxy and 405 filler will set you right. Don't forget barrier coat or you could get a blister on your finger.

Omatako, hope it heals fast!
Old 01-04-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC View Post
Can we add a warning for those eating chips and salsa while reading?
I agree (and I'm serious). You might want to edit your post to indicate whats comming in the photo. I don't have a weak stomach but I wasn't quite prepared for that! I think an "anchor winch" is a Windlass BTW. As you now know, fingers don't belong near winches or a windlass. You're very lucky you got your hand back. Did you figure out why the windlass woudn't shut off?

Last edited by L124C; 01-04-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2011

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
It's a wee flesh wound... couple weeks you'll be good as new. A little more knarley than pushin it into the tablesaw though, but close...

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2011
America, love it or leave

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
It took me a minute, I thought it was sausage.

Nice war wound, heal well and wear it proud. Thank god you didn't get it making copies in a windowless cubicle somewhere not near water.
Old 01-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I think the pic was a great public service announcement. Let's not sugar coat it. Heal well.

There is a club of sailors with fingers like that. Thanks for trying to discourage membership.
Old 01-05-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Don't be too hard on yourself, you may have saved somebody's finger. Heal quickly, thanks for the warning.
Old 01-05-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Damn, that’s nasty… hope you’re on the mend quickly, and recover full use of that finger…

Just curious, have you determined the cause of the failure of the motor to stop? Do you have deck mounted foot switches? Have I mentioned I HATE windlass foot switches? (grin) There are few things more more exposed to the elements, and prone to failure on a cruising boat than those freakin’ things, and they just happen to control one of the most dangerous pieces of machinery on board. Your accident certainly is a reminder for the need for a routine inspection/maintenance of whatever controls one is using for their windlass… Personally, I think a hard-wired remote control with its connection made inside the boat, and fed out on deck through a hatch or portlight, is a better solution than footswitches mounted through the deck…

Also, something may be amiss with your setup, your chain really shouldn't be jumping out of the gypsy like it did... Are you certain the chain and gypsy are properly matched? Sometimes, even the slightest mismatch between standard and metric sizing, or BBB and hi-test chain can work seamlessly, until it's really put to the test, in a situation like the one you faced...

Your story is a reminder of one of the most disturbing trends I see out there today, as bigger and bigger boats are being sailed by cruisers with less and less experience… Modern boats are becoming increasingly dependent on electric winches and furling gear, and I’m afraid many of them are being used by people who lack a full appreciation of how dangerously powerful some of this stuff can be. As a result, gear breakage and/or injury is a real possibility… When such an accident can so easily happen to someone as obviously experienced as yourself, it’s not hard to imagine how easy it can be for someone with less familiarity in dealing with some of the extreme loads common on boats of the size so many cruisers are sailing, today…
Old 01-05-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Anytime you have moving parts, fingers are at risk. be careful out there. I'm just strong enough to hold my boat against the anchor in moderate conditions. I recently sailed on a buddies boat that was just a little heavier in slightly worse conditions. I suddenly relised as I was pulling up the anchor and it caught on something I was not going to be able to pull it as the weight of the boat came against the chain and it ripped from my hands. I narrowly missed getting a hand cut open by the shackle safety wire as it slid through my hand. I've revised my anchor pulling procedure as a result.
Old 01-05-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Maybe you should see a hand surgeon. V belts on engines can also take fingers off if the engine is running and magnetos or high energy spark ignition systems on modern outboard engines can stop the heart.