Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
I cared,kind of like what can see.marc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2011
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
The ad is expired, so I'm not sure offhand what the price was, but it's my impression that there are tons of older boats in the low thousands price range, that will survey without dangerous probelms, and will sail just fine. I ended up purchasing a 27' for $4000, that required only about $3000 of fix up (brand new outboard, bottom job, miscellaneous outfitting), and in the several months I've owned and sailed it, no crazy problems have turned up.

There was nothing particularly special about this boat that made the price happen; if you're flexable, and you're in a major sailing area, there are tons of boats like this laying around if you're willing to take your boat search seriously.

If you start having a lot of specific requirements, or demand late model or recently purchased accessories (new sails, for instance, is a common desire), or require a boat that's had religious maintenance, you can kiss any sub-$10K price goodbye immediately for anything 20+'. On the other hand, I strongly suggest you draw the line on anything remotely like a project boat. There's just so many boats out there that are ready-to-sail to have to mess with anything else.

Part of the deal is that older boats with leaky portlights and blown-out sails can actually be pretty hard to get rid of. Other boats have serious problems that are actually easy to fix. (Mine was lack of auxiliary propulsion, which was easy to fix, and is actually a pretty common problem with boats you see in classifieds.) There's just so many owners who are done with sailing, and just want to the boat go away. Other than the seller I bought from, other sellers I was considering included a businessman who decided he didn't really like sailing, and a guy moving up to a larger boat.
Old 01-17-2011

ShockValue is on a distinguished road
My search process kind of goes like this:

Scan craigslist
See an interesting boat.
Note make, model and year.
Do a bunch of research on that type of boat.
If still interested, go and look at it.

Since I didn't know the make and model of this boat (and the guy didn't respond to my emails originally) I asked here what it was.

I didn't mean to imply that I was hot to buy THIS boat. I just was wondering if anyone knew what it was so I could do a little research on it.

I DO appreciate the advice on buying a "cheap" boat though from all those that chimed in
Old 01-17-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
here is some more info for research
1981 sailboat 27' LOA, 25' LOD. Built by New England Boat Builders Co
i didnt really find much but also i didnt research much. designed by Aborn D. Smith Jr which would make it most likely a kells 28 or trump 27 depends on who used the mold in '81 to build it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.