Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
If you're thinking of running Corson's Inlet in a sailboat I would think again. Corson's was (is?) a narrow, shallow channel with shoals that shifts with every storm. Unless things have changed the only boats that ran out of there were small fishing boats. Another issue was the height of the bridge inside the inlet but they've changed a number of them and it may not be an issue at this point. You may want to try sailing the Catalina for a season and then decide if you need or want to sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2011
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
MJ is right. Corson's Inlet is a no sail zone without a lot of current local knowledge. The CG doesn't even mark a channel because it shifts so frequently, if I remember correctly. Skiffs, Hobies and wave runners use it, but not much more. The boat ramp is on the outside of a bridge with a 6 foot clearance according to the chart. (Actually this sounds short - I'll look for more current info)

On the inside, the ICW runs in a winding, relatively narrow channel up to the 34th St bridge which has a vertical clearance of about 35'.

North of 34th st the bay opens up, with lots of sailable acreage between Beesley's Point, Somers Point, Longport, and Ocean City. The bay is bisected by the Rt. 52 causeway (9th St. Bridge) with bascule bridges on the east side and the west side. The entire span is being replaced, and by 2012, there should be high clearance, fixed bridges in their place. At the very north end of OC is what I call the Gardens Bridge named for the OC neighborhood it is in). It was finished a few years ago and provides an excellent vantage (65' clearance) to study the inlet. Chef was right caution you, but a good captain, adequately prepared, choosing the right conditions, can cross safely. Hundreds, if not thousands of passages are made every summer. But any NJ inlet can be unforgiving of ignorance.

From what I read, your boat has a 2'8" draft which makes most of the bay available to you. If I had to make your decision, I think I would rent a slip between 9th and 34th streets and explore for a season or two. Towing a sailboat around town during the summer weekends would be no fun at all. And don't forget to get a towing policy. My friends are happy with BoatUS.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.