SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Good news: Pac garbage patch much smaller (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71141-good-news-pac-garbage-patch-much-smaller.html)

jrd22 01-07-2011 10:57 AM

Good news: Pac garbage patch much smaller

There have been other threads on the Pacific garbage patch here. It was reportedly twice the size of Texas but new evidence reveals it to be a small fraction of that size, and dispels most of the other wild claims about it. Nice to hear from a real oceanographer with first had evidence and observations. Here is the link.

Garbage: Another environmental claim proven to be hyped | Watts Up With That?

Sixpoint 01-07-2011 12:07 PM

Well, that is good news, of a sort.

That is, it's not that it's necessarily any smaller than it used to be - that would have been GREAT news.

But, to hear that that it's (probably) smaller than we thought...well, like I said, that is good news.

The fact that it exists at all, imho, means that we as the guilty parties (and yes, that certainly includes me) should be ashamed of ourselves.

jrd22 01-07-2011 12:25 PM

I've read that almost all of the plastic in the "patch" comes from Asia, apparently because of winds, currents, etc "they" can figure this out. If you've ever seen any Asian ports this shouldn't come as a surprise. Not saying that we in N America are faultless.

Allanbc 01-07-2011 12:42 PM

I wouldn't consider Watts Up With That? the best information source.

jrd22 01-07-2011 02:15 PM

Allan- perhaps a read of the article would clear up the misconception. It's from Oregon State University, posted on Watts site.

LandLocked66c 01-07-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 684005)
Allan- perhaps a read of the article would clear up the misconception. It's from Oregon State University, posted on Watts site.

That and it's on the internet, I mean really! :D

Allanbc 01-07-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 684005)

Perhaps you should compare the titles.

Watts Up With That?
Garbage: Another environmental claim proven to be hyped

OSU site
Oceanic “garbage patch” not nearly as big as portrayed in media

Subtle difference but certainly shows the bias of Watts Up With That. Why not just cite the original source without the inflammatory title?

jrd22 01-07-2011 04:47 PM

I saw it on that site, sorry you don't like the title. Any comments on the content?

Nice boat by the way.

killarney_sailor 01-07-2011 04:54 PM

Found a much smaller garbage patch in the SW Caribbean recently. We were about 100 miles from the western end of the San Blas Islands in Panama and ran into a large region of sargasso weed and plastic. Took us several hours to cross it. Apparently the currents from the east swirl here and plastic comes from all over the Caribbean until it finally is carried west along the coast of Colombia and Panama. Nasty looking to be sure.

Bilgewater 01-07-2011 08:06 PM

John, good post.
This is a paragraph taken from the article:

Another way to look at it, White said, is to compare the amount of plastic found to the amount of water in which it was found. “If we were to filter the surface area of the ocean equivalent to a football field in waters having the highest concentration (of plastic) ever recorded,” she said, “the amount of plastic recovered would not even extend to the 1-inch line.”

It sounds like if you seined a football field size patch (very fine mesh) 1 foot deep you would end up with 160' X 1' X 1" of plastic. But what do they mean by surface? If you seined it 20' deep, I would think it would be much less plastic per sq ft.

As you likely know I'm constantly having to go through a great deal of misleading information regarding our ocean environment, so this interests me.

Also...our football fields are 195' wide, so it's a bit misleading for Canadians. Our football field would likely include areas of less concentration. :confused: ;)