Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
The reason for the poor performance of your outboard is the prop!
10" dia. is more suited for a flat bottom power boat, and the 8" pitch is like trying to start a car from a dead stop in 5th gear.
An 8 X 6 would serve you much better.

Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
ADAMS 21 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
Sailboat Designs of Joe*Adams

First line is an Adams 21 info, could not find a 24' version, 2nd line is some info "assuming" on the designer.

There are some other sites like the one I linked with boat info that might have some on your boat.

Definitely, watch out for fuzzy!

Marty
Old 01-08-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here's another snippet I found... not much but a good list of his designs (though, like Marty I can't find a 24) His racers look lightning quick, and his cruisers look pretty good too.

Joe Adams, Yacht Designer Profile : Bluewaterboats.org

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-08-2011
Banned

BUDGIE SMUGGLER is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to BUDGIE SMUGGLER
being a total beginner i have an awful lot to learn about sailing and with thanks to other sailors with more experience such as yourself i can get some good ground knowledge as a base for my own experiences. i`ve only been into computers for one year and can`t believe the information out there. one thing i can`t find however is how to cross a bar in a yacht.they seem to bypass the nitty gritty handling of a yacht on a bar... in a power boat catch a wave and ride it in, but a yacht ??? the thought of waves running over & through me is a scary thought indeed while coming in through a bar..... do you have sails up.....motor only....combinations of both etc.etc. also, going out over a bar a power boat has the power to drive up a wave and instantly come off the power to gently go down the other side.... a yacht....well i have visions of trying to go up the wave and being driven backwards, `cos a little 8hp motor roaring away trying to drive a lot of weight is also giving me a few nasty visions.
Old 01-09-2011
Banned

Talking

broken bay is one of the best cruising grounds in the world and lots of deep water too. unlike my beloved daintree which is a navigational nightmare for yachts going much past the ferry. about 1.5 miles before the daintree village there are overhead powerlines to stop yachts, that`s if the many sandbars b4 the wires hav`nt stopped you. for those who wish to really explore the river then it will have to be by dinghy and a reasonable size one because of the very large crocs even 35 miles upstream. there are no charts or even mud maps available which prompted my sense of adventure to explore and make a very detailed chart myself from the entrance to about 35 miles upstream, i also have about 500 waypoints of the river and creeks (garmin) i dont know if these can be transfered to other gps`s, or how to do it, but the offer`s there if anyone wants to really explore this beautiful river. i explored it in a 3 metre polycraft but even then you have to work the tides and also drag the boat over some rockbars, keeping a watchfull eye for crocs. i went to all this trouble because i used to be a wildlife photographer before i "lost the plot". i then lived in a motorhome and suppose i was called trailer trash........ now i`m a grotty yachty...... i wonder if a grotty yachty is a step up the social ladder from trailer trash.......or......damn it.....a further step down!!!!
Old 01-09-2011
Banned

dick & marty, sorry for any confusion and thanks for your imput. i have been returning answers to other people and the above 2 answers from me look as if i`m sidetracked. my original question still stands. i also did`nt realise that there is a page two.
Old 01-09-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Hi Aussie,
I picked up a free mag, Afloat, while visiting my son in Sydney. It also available on line. Has lots of good articles and general info on sailing in Australia. Reckon I,ll try a summer cruise there someday, meanwhile it helps while away the cold damp winter days here in Ireland. It might be useful in filling in some of the blanks as to are new to cruising.
Happy sailing
Brian

Last edited by centaursailor; 01-09-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-09-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Here's another snippet I found... not much but a good list of his designs (though, like Marty I can't find a 24) His racers look lightning quick, and his cruisers look pretty good too.

Joe Adams, Yacht Designer Profile : Bluewaterboats.org
Cruisers and racer's alike the guy never designed a bad boat that I am aware of. He is perhaps one of the most prolific and respected designers in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1947 View Post
one thing i can`t find however is how to cross a bar in a yacht.they seem to bypass the nitty gritty handling of a yacht on a bar... in a power boat catch a wave and ride it in, but a yacht ??? the thought of waves running over & through me is a scary thought indeed while coming in through a bar..... do you have sails up.....motor only....combinations of both etc.etc. also, going out over a bar a power boat has the power to drive up a wave and instantly come off the power to gently go down the other side.... a yacht....well i have visions of trying to go up the wave and being driven backwards, `cos a little 8hp motor roaring away trying to drive a lot of weight is also giving me a few nasty visions.

I would recommend.........actually I would INSIST on you getting a copy of Alan Lucas's cruising the NSW Coast. It is the definitive cruising guide or NSW. In it he covers in detail a good approach to crossing bars under sail. Further more he provides information on every Bar one can expect to encounter as you cruise up the coast.
While your at it he does one for Queensland called cruising the Coral Coast. Any Chandlery will have a copy.....ebay/Boat books has several of both.

Generally motoring in is the way to go.

Safety first Bar crossings should mean PFD on. If you can try and radio the local VMR for local info. In this day and age of legal responsibility though sadly a few of them are less willing to give recommendations.

It is all about timing usually. Waiting for the third hour of a flood tide is good idea. Always take it tentatively.....try to maintain some speed to avoid being swamped.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
G'day aussie1947.

I'm also a relative newbie to the sailing scene and am Aussie too. It'll be awhile before I'm sailing up & down the coast but if you're ever down Swansea way (Lake Macquarie), send us a message and I'll buy you a beer

Our friendly neighbourhood moderator (the "furry-nosed hippy" known as tdw ) is worth getting to know, if only for the good conversation. There are a couple of cruising forums around with a good Australian contingent. Not my scene (personal preference), but worth checking out for more sailors from the Land of Oz
Old 01-09-2011
Banned

i`m so impressed with what is my first forum. i`ve asked a couple of questions and so many people have taken the trouble to send me a line... from an offer of a beer in lake macquarie, to chilly ireland, to other kind hearted aussies (i`m originally from england, but i`d better not mention that) it was half my life ago!....... as you know, i`ve only just moved onto my little yacht and what a friendly bunch yachties are.... i myself have many skills that i can also pass on that are related to boat building, i was designing and building fibreglass cars back in the sixties, also other related skills and will do so as willingly as you all have. the wind outside is howling and my tiny yacht, for some reason,always seems to rock & roll much more than ALL the boats around me!!! is that a normal observasion!!!!! but i feel quite warm inside. i have no cupboards or draws to store my gear and i can hardly move. i`m 6 foot 4 inches in this little boat with sitting room only ( my head is covered with bumps and bruises and scratches) and i feel like i`m really,really bursting out of this boat.......... so i thought i would officially name her....BUDGIE SMUGGLER.....not sure if anyone outside of australia will understand that name. may see if i can change my username on sail net too.