Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insails View Post
I live on the gulf coast and don't see all these boats you speak of...The Katrina boats have been removed long ago as insurance paid for most....All marinas not just the gulf have abandoned boats ..Who told you there were boats everywhere? Do you have a link?
The boat yard in Biloxi has a great number of boats. Some are laying around the yard, some are 'on the hard' as it were. With a greater population in Louisiana and Alabama I would imagine there to be more. Sure, most were removed, but there's bound to be some deals out there in need of work.

SAIL BOAT FOR SALE 5,000 OR BEST OFFER

22' sail boat with trailer

I'm not saying those are Katrina boats, but they are damaged and cheap!

p.s. where do you live Insails? I'm in Ocean Springs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
Check out Indiantown Marina here in Florida.
Old 01-09-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Ya Indiantown has a LOT's of boats ,I run into thier adds constantly during my searches...all tho I would guess 90% are neg value boats..
Old 01-09-2011

seagypsey is on a distinguished road
to sailingstnick

I live on the boat. I am currently in Texas but the boat is in Pickwick lake right now waiting out the cold without me.
Old 01-09-2011

To sailingwebguy:

Thanks for the info. SO far all I have found is boatangel and chapmans. Know of any others??

To Denise030: Agreed. I did a search for the agencies that are supposed to dispose of these boats after I saw a news article about it somewhere that there are supposed to be people given this task. I wrote to a few county governments but no one ever answered. I have been trying a systematic search in brokers and haul out yards too with no positive results.

To all: thanks for the advise. I have refit several boats over the years including the Balboa 26 I am living on now until I find my 30-50'cat. I am quite realistic about what I will find. Been there, done that. This is a retirement project for me on An SS budget and I have nothing but time.

If anyone actually does know of an abandoned/cat or one that an owner needs to get out from under or would trade for my B26 and trailer please drop me a note.

I plan to go back to Pickwick in March and cruise it and KY lakes area for the summer until after hurricane season and then head for the gulf, key, etc.

Perhaps i'll find something extraordinary. Perhaps something extraordinary will find us. Either way, it's going to be quite an adventure. (G'kar as he was leaving Babalon 5)
Old 01-09-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
Look at Craigslist Florida Ft. Myers and look for trimarans. There is a 35.5' trimaran project listed pretty cheap.
Old 01-09-2011

thanks landmineop.

I wrote to the ad for more info.

Harry
Old 01-09-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
The org I'm familiar with is in the Chesapeake. Planet Hope: Land and Sea | Mentoring Youth Through Sailing

They were difficult to find. I stumbled upon them through searching for project boats at MD marinas.

There's gotta be one local to your area.. Call a few marinas. They would probably know of one.

or...

Get familiar with some salvage guys. I've seen quite a few boats with good names behind them get chopped up.
Old 01-09-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I published an article on this subject several years ago in Noreaster Magazine, which recently went out of business. In researching the article I discovered that there were more than 100,000 abandoned boats in the U.S. alone, most of which were not worth the time it took to look at them. The vast majority were sailboats, about 60 percent. Some of the power boats I looked at were motor-yachts ranging up to 65 feet in length, while most of the sailboats ranged 17 to 27 feet, with a few over 30 feet.

The vast majority of them were at boat yards and marinas, locations where they were at one time used by owners who were 70 or more years of age, a category that I'm in. For various health reasons, the owner(s) were no longer able to use their boats. Storage fees built up, while at the same time the owners health deteriorated. The owner often died, and his or her name was the only name on the storage contract, thus the boat was abandoned.

More often than not the families of the deceased did not want the boat and ignored letters and phone calls from the marina or boat yard. After a couple years, the facilities try to sell the boat to recoup their storage fees. However, in order to do this, there is a massive amount of paper work, newspaper ads, auction, etc.., a process that takes forever, and can be somewhat expensive. Eventually, the boats are often striped for parts, cut up with a chain saw, loaded in a dump truck and taken to a landfill.

Ironically, my 27-foot Catalina was a derelict that I purchased from Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Living Classroom in Baltimore Harbor. I got a fantastic price, put a couple grand into fixing some minor problems, and sailed it for five years.

When I get some free time I'll post a copy of the article on this forum.

Gary
Old 01-09-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Harry-
"I have heard that because of the large amount of abandoned boats "
Usually the abandoned boats are derelicts that have long since been stripped of anything worth a dollar, along with all ID and if there's no VIN they'll be hard to title and register as well.
This is usually a very expensive trash collection process by the government agencies.

But every marina has boats that have also been abandoned, usually in better condition, that they have or can apply a "warehouseman's lien" on for unpaid marina bills. Once they take possession of the boat, they can sell the title and the boat. Try asking around marinas first, the yard queens won't be gems either, but they'll be better than the derelicts pulled out of mud banks.