SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   abandoned boat sales (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71161-abandoned-boat-sales.html)

seagypsey 01-08-2011 11:49 AM

abandoned boat sales

I have heard that because of the large amount of abandoned boats along the gulf coast there are local government agencies tasked with the disposal. Does anyone know of this and have any contact information for them. I am searching for a cat larger than 30' on an S.S. budget.

Thanks, Harry

Omatako 01-08-2011 01:54 PM

I was told this about the Panama Canal area some years ago when I was looking for a bigger boat. I searched for a considerable time and found nothing notable. Eventually gave up and went with Yachtworld.com

Good luck.

SailingWebGuy 01-08-2011 02:44 PM

Not sure of the gov agencies but... You might try searching for boat donation organizations in the area. There are a few in the North East that gather up those boats pretty aggressively. They often have a large selection of very inexpensive boats...but the boats typically need a good bit of work.

SailingStNick 01-08-2011 03:13 PM

I know there are coastal boat yards full of Katrina boats. Can't honestly tell you their status, though. Might try searching the web and making calls to pin something down.

Sabreman 01-08-2011 04:33 PM

Nearly every Chesapeake Bay marina has a number of abandoned or nearly abandoned boats. Most need a lot of work, reflecting their abandoned state. I know of one that sat in a yard for 12 years and the owner gave it away last year. The new owner did some work and got her sailing so it's possible to get something cheap.

In my experience you really don't get a bargain with a boat, you just defer the payment of money.

Flybyknight 01-09-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabreman (Post 684382)

In my experience you really don't get a bargain with a boat, you just defer the payment of money.

I'll second that; in spades.

Dick

Insails 01-09-2011 06:47 AM

I live on the gulf coast and don't see all these boats you speak of...The Katrina boats have been removed long ago as insurance paid for most....All marinas not just the gulf have abandoned boats ..Who told you there were boats everywhere? Do you have a link?

WanderingStar 01-09-2011 08:31 AM

There is a website called Yacht Salvage that has insurance losses. I bid on a schooner there once. Don't buy anything you haven't inspected. Also check ebay at least weekly.

eherlihy 01-09-2011 10:22 AM

I also suggest periodically checking Craigslist in any area that you think you may find a boat.

deniseO30 01-09-2011 10:59 AM

Going by the answers the OP's question wasn't answered. I've yet to find where all the Katrina boats were hauled off to, and I thought I was pretty good with internet searching. There had to be thousands...or at least many hundreds. Kinda like the Elephant's graveyard? .. it exists somewhere...

Wonder if there is a market for fiberglass chips? . put boat in one end.. out come chips.. just like the tree chippers?