Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011

ClaireFAISE is on a distinguished road
Advice: Making a Sailing Video Game

I'm combining my two loves, game design and sailing, to create a leisure game for portable platforms (phones, tablets, etc).

I'm new to sailing. I just started reading The Complete Sailor (great book) and in the spring I will take lessons and go sailing on my own while being supervised by friends and family that know how to sail. But here is where I need your help:

In the game, you start off with a small, 'okay' boat. The MO is to sail around (with a wind physics engine and game controls that will mimic controlling a sail boat as accurately as possible) and find sunken treasure or maybe discover/chart islands. There will probably be other things to do too. But you use the wealth you accumulate from these activities to upgrade and enhance your boat. New sails, new hulls, new radars and weather equipment, etc etc.
  • What different things could I have on a sail boat that could be 'upgraded' besides sails, hulls, and radar?
  • If you had to put sails, hulls, etc in order from worst performance to best performance, how would that order go?

btw, I don't mean brands, I mean sail types (square, lateen, marconi, etc) though if there are different fabrics sails are made out of that could be considered better or worse, that would be very appreciated information!

Thank you so much, I can't wait to make this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
You could purchase items that could extend the length you could sail without docking...wind gen, solar panels, water maker.
Old 01-08-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
The ipod touch app 2010 sailboat championship has a lot of good features with sail trim/wind direction /current and various boats

BUT they made the difficulty so high its pointless to play which is a shame because it has a lot of potential to be a fun game

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
BUT they made the difficulty so high its pointless to play which is a shame because it has a lot of potential to be a fun game
That's too bad That's why I want to make this a leisure game. I know there are way more casual gamers than 'core' gamers and, like me, don't like having to struggle hard to play their game.
Old 01-08-2011

jhorsager is on a distinguished road
My advice would be to take a look at some of the applications that already exist, like Virtual Sailor. Incidentaly, this particular application is easily modded if you don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Old 01-08-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I spend more time than I should playing COD black opps on line

The sailing game pointless hard

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-09-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
It only has to be better than Kitty Cannon heheheheehehheehe

Personally I would like to see a plotted corse ( done by player) sail plan ( flight plan) and then sim it & whoever doesn't run aground, sink, get pirated or gets to destination wins

Good luck ! Everyone approaches someone who shares there labors
Old 01-09-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Claire, I wish you good luck on this but sailing is a visceral kinesthetic experience.

As my nephew said when I taught him to drive stick shift, "WHOA! This is nothing like the video games!" with a face full of sweat from trying to concentrate and not mash the gears or stall.

I have never seen a sailing game that sailors had any interest in, because sail is as much about "feel" and feedback as it is about physics. The first time I saw a sailboat race on the horizon I said gee, that's about as interesting as watching the grass grow. Racing itself is of course somewhat different.

Unless you can provide a video game controller, a heeling helm seat with tiller or wheel and winches and feedback including the noise of luffing sails...I don't see it working. At least not for me, or the other sailors I know.

Maybe we're all missing something...Yes, there are car games played by drivers, but still, sailing isn't the same as driving, not at all. Maybe you can bring the fresh insight and make the magic work, but I'd suggest looking at what else has been done out there, and bearing in mind, everything that already has been done, hasn't been enough. Yet.
Old 01-09-2011

My target demographic are not sailors and my objective is not to simulate sailing to a tee. But thank you for your concern.
Old 01-10-2011

DulceSuerna is on a distinguished road
There was a sailing vid game years ago for the computer when video games started picking up speed. For many if your not blowing up stuff or doing something somewhat dramatic it isn't much fun or entertaining. Maybe a pirate sailing game! Hunt pirates, be a pirate etc !!!