Should we even do the intercostal en-route south? From what I am reading... - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011
America, love it or leave

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Should we even do the intercostal en-route south? From what I am reading...

Last edited by chrisncate; 01-12-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
This is just my opinion and not advice. Every mile of the ICW has worth but some miles you may want to see only once. You can not drop the hook anywhere but there are many many anchorages. Some beautiful and isolated some crowded and functional. Skipper Bob is great but there are other options. Be creative but stay out of the channel. The ICW is slow and not for night travel but you can use it when off shore is not comfortable. I have covered from the Pamlico Sound to Keys three times in the last 5 years and Pamlico north to Yorktown last spring. Some days are boring some are great. You run into many great people and a few jerks. I single-hand a lot so my off shore runs are limited. I definitely try and go out anywhere south of St Lucie or Jupiter Inlet. I believe half+- of the 60+- bridges I have to deal with are south of there and the jumps are short. I only draw 3.5 ft so I have it easier than most but I know many folks with more that run the ICW with few problems. I have been boarded/inspected many times and it might have been inconvenient but basically painless. Again some of that is luck of the draw. There is beauty in every mile, off shore or in the ditch. Dan S/V Marian Claire Heading south in 19 days. Yeeehaa
Old 01-09-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
If you're more concerned with the destination than the journey, stay outside. At least from Beaufort Inlet south. If you're not in a hurry, stay inside at least till Hilton Head Island.

I've had no problem finding places to anchor, and have only been boarded once, and that was part of a CG training exercise. The Florida bridges south of Fort Pierce can be a pain, as most are on a schedule rather than on demand.

Skipper Bobs and Cruisernet are good resources. I use the Maptech Chart Books rather than individual charts. Dozier's Waterway Guide is also useful.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2011

john1066 is on a distinguished road
Thing have probably changed since I did the last of my eight trips up and down the east coast, but I never had a problem anchoring and I was never boarded or inspected.

I've never tried to go round Hattarras, always electing to stay inside from the Bay to Moorhead City, but after that I've done it entirely outside and entirely inside. Obviously, weather is the big issue if you intend to stay outside. Just don't be in the Stream in anything with north in it.

I like the ICW and would like to do it one time on a more suitable vessel than a sailboat with its deep draft and mast.

If you intend to leave the country and have no interest in exploring the eastern seaboard then by all means just head south to the Bahamas.
Old 01-09-2011

nancishouse is on a distinguished road
ICW route

I've done the ICW 15 times. I have never been boarded. Always found anchorages - The beauty of the ICW is that weather is not usually a factor. I find the ICW much more interesting than the ocean. Don't like those over-nighters either.
Old 01-10-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Please do not take anything I say as a recommendation. I would have to know a great deal about you, your crew and your boat before recommending a course of action.
Info: I agree with the previous post. Skipper Bobís ICW anchorage book is #1. It covers anchorages, bridge schedules, areas of strong currents etc. There is also a web site with updates. Things do change so do not take anything as gospel and some of the on shore info is subjective ie. A long walk to the grocery store for one person is a pleasure for others. I also use the large charts. I found an old set and went on-line and page by page updated the markers. As soon as something is printed it is out of date as inlet markers constantly change. Honor what is on the water.
My experience is that 99.9% of the people on the water and on shore were nice. A few years back Fla did push the anchoring issue to hard and has paid the price with bad press and I think has backed off some. If you can find a more cruiser friendly town than St Maryís Ga I will eat my hat. Again it is luck of the draw. If you get pulled by the officer on a power trip it is going to be a hassle. The CG and most of the enforcement officers I have encountered where very professional and courteous. I think, as in the news, we hear a great deal about the one bad apple and little about the others.
I think many of us could talk/write/tell stories for ever on how we contact/dealt with bridges, fast boats, tides, strong currents, the beauty of some areas, the opulence of Ft Lala, the Rock Pile, Elliotís Cut, the list is endless.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 01-10-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
If you're like me (fairly new to sailing, limited to the Ches. Bay, non-bluewater boat) then based on your end-destination, I would consider using the ICW to get you safely south of Cape Hatteras (graveyard of the Atlantic) and then pop out and sail along the coast the rest of the way.

Nothing says the ICW is an "all or nothing" proposition.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-10-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A lot of doing the ICW depends on what you are looking for. If you want speed, you go outside. If you want nature, you stay inside. If you want a bit of everything, then mix it up, depending on conditions.

A lot depends also, on the time of year. The later in the year, the more likely you are to stay inside.

There's many points of historical interest, as well as places of natural beauty, like Charleston and Cumberland Island. Or maybe you want to see Cape Canaveral. It's all up to what you want to do.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that once you're south of Cape Hatteras, going outside isn't too difficult and lets you make more distance in less time.

The ICW is probably at its worst in Georgia, since the ICW there hasn't been all that well maintained, and the ICW there isn't anything close to straight.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
chrisncate -

Where are you on the Bay? I'm in Annapolis and have done the trip South many times, albeit more out than in. Happy to catch up with you near Annapolis and share my experiences and walk through the charts.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.