Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011
1974' Cal 21

bonito is on a distinguished road
Exclamation replacing standing rigging

I am thinking about replacing STANDING rigging with : "AmSteel-Blue Dyneema SK-78 Single Braid".
Any thoughts?
It has a breaking strength of 2500 lbs more than wire rope which is 2100.
Is this a good or bad idea for a 1974 Cal 21 (trailer boat)?

Any comments appreciated.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bonito; 01-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2011

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
do you mean your standing rigging? i am not sure that a Cal21 would have any wire rope running rigging, maybe the halyard but doubtful.

the advantage of the amsteel for standing rigging is that you can usually do the set up yourself and there is less weight aloft. being that it is trailered it might be worth it as it would be easier to deal with when down then wire. UV damage may be an issue. I am sure those more knowledgeable then me will chime in shortly.
Old 01-10-2011
1974' Cal 21

Yes standing, coffee hasn't gotten to my brain yet, LOL.

My main problem is how to connect the ends since I can't find any swages that works on rope. I could splice but then I would not be able to use my turn buckles for adjustments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't go with a single braid for running rigging. I wrote a pretty good article on replacing running and standing rigging a while back and would recommend you read it. You can see it here.

If you're talking about replacing your standing rigging with amsteel, then that's a different story. However, you would need to get fittings like Colligo rigging produces for its Dynex Dux rigging, which allows you to tension the standing rigging using lashings and deadeyes.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-10-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I looked at and priced it out its really expensive to get the correct fittings the first time you rig a boat compared to replacing you existing SS standing rigging

Other than saving some weight i cant see benefit

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-10-2011
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
I can see the need for the special fittings on a larger boat but think they can be dispensed with on a boat as small as the 21. 1/8" or 3/16" Amsteel can be spliced around a thimble that is small enough to fit through the jaws of a turnbuckle. You may have to replace the upper studs of your turnbuckles with jaw or (better yet) toggle jaw fittings.

I replaced the running backstays and permanent backstay on my boat with 3/16" Amsteel Blue and it worked out great. I did not have the guts to replace the shrouds as well (concerned about possible UV damage, and scared by a comment on a previous thread that all a vandal needs to bring down the rig is a sharp knife. ) I also would not replace the wire forestay with fiber because of the potential for chafe from the jib hanks.

Old 01-10-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
While i am not and expert on the material

I have read the instructions and viewed the excellent library of assembly videos

If you want to use it successfully it gets sized for creep NOT strength as a size that looks strong enough will CREEP(stretch)excessively over time

You have to use dead eyes with the correct bend radius and there splicing method or the material will FAIL

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-10-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is very important. While Amsteel is very strong, it does have a tendency to creep... and if the line is sized wrong, it will creep.

So is what Tommays said about the bend radius of the lashings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
If you want to use it successfully it gets sized for creep NOT strength as a size that looks strong enough will CREEP(stretch)excessively over time

You have to use dead eyes with the correct bend radius and there splicing method or the material will FAIL

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-10-2011
1974' Cal 21

I am pondering now more with the idea to use the back stay only in synthetic and the rest in good old 1x19 SS standing rigging for the $$ sake (most likely I do all in wire rope again, since going syn rope is way to expensive and with 3 years, not that long lasting at all. I guess if I had the money to burn and would want to save every gram on the boat it would be the way to go.

Many thanks to everyone, I know now what to do and what not to do.

Old 01-11-2011
Banned

mikieg is on a distinguished road
I have a santana 525. I am getting ready to replace all the running rigging on the boat. I am not a racing type. All i am interested in is crusing. So i am looking for a place to buy all the appropriate lines. Anybody know of one?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.