How is our world getting smaller because of the rising science and tecnology? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011

Makenna is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up How is our world getting smaller because of the rising science and tecnology?

This question was asked during my class in school today. AND I DIDN'T KNOW THE ANSWER. It never come to me that our world is actually getting smaller by the second. But how? I still don't know how is it getting smaller. Is the modern days eating our world up creating extinction? Is that how?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2011

Ragamuffin1979 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makenna View Post
This question was asked during my class in school today. AND I DIDN'T KNOW THE ANSWER. It never come to me that our world is actually getting smaller by the second. But how? I still don't know how is it getting smaller. Is the modern days eating our world up creating extinction? Is that how?
It's the Replicators!
Old 01-10-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Realtime communication & fast transportation makes the world smaller everyday .....

My second choise would be ...the earth is on it's pumping down phase change atm . according to the Updated Descartess' Model by Neil Christianson.
Old 01-11-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Websites like this allow you to engage in near real time with experiences throughout the world in great quantity. In the past, you would wait for years after the fact for one or two of them to write a book. You can also access boat specific blogs, often referenced in these interviews, that describe their specific experiences with every port they encounter.

The INTERVIEW WITH A CRUISER Project
Old 01-12-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDChopper View Post
My second choise would be ...the earth is on it's pumping down phase change atm . according to the Updated Descartess' Model by Neil Christianson.
Seriously?
Old 01-12-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Wellll Yaaaa
Old 01-12-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Modern communications has made the world smaller and in some ways Meaner because some people who don't like other people are now rubbing shoulders with them. And instead of learning to get along, they just get meaner....
But You will also meet people who are friendly and easy to get along with.
It is the latter that I will enjoy meeting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 01-13-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
while not the awnser s/he was looking for (as i agree with the above transportation/technology awnser above. it used to take months to go from a to b now hours... hence smaller) as long as the population is growing, there is less 'earth' per capita for each of us.

Again, not--i dont think the awnser that was sought--just throwing it out there as an aside. and HEY! THATS MY CHUNK OF WATER!! lol.

anyway i suspect a troll. lol

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 01-13-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Oh, it's all the people wandering around not picking up their feet. Just scuffing along and wearing away the Earth. One day it will be the size of a basketball.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 01-13-2011

scgilligan is on a distinguished road
I agree with what was said above..

about travel being easier than before. The world seems "smaller" because you can get anywhere you want rather quickly. In the 1700s people rarely traveled beyond 20 miles of their home. Now, there are plenty of people that work more than 50 miles from their home and travel there daily. On top of that you can get on a plane fairly cheap and visit Tampa for the weekend if you live in SC without thinking twice about it. People take daytrips that are more extensive than just packing up the wagon and heading into "town".
Communication is another thing..Facebook, Forums, Texting, phones, VIDEO phones, etc. etc. The internet in general has given rise to lots of things that make the world "smaller". I am in awe when my kids complain about how hard it is to write a school report..When I was in school we had to go to the library and use Encyclopedias.!! What 12 year old has even seen an Encyclopedia these days.??..another rant for another time..