Pirates of the Arctic - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Just because they look nice and fluffy in the Coke commercials doesn't mean they're not, um, BEARS.

Somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books. - John Lubbock
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

When we were in Alaska a Brown Bear tried to tip over our vehicle... with people in it. It was then that I understood "Rock and Roll."
post #13 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Courtney the Dancer

Good example of what watching too many Disney flicks when you are young will do to you. Those people are very lucky (and not too bright).

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #14 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
My wife's childhood best friend and her husband live in Pond Inlet, on Baffin Island, where they teach high school. Apparently you don't go far outside alone up there without a high-powered rifle, because the polar bears think humans are a tasty snack.

They showed us detailed photos of what happened to the bear that took to hanging out by the school: bear skinning/eating party in the gym!

Will check when we see them next summer and make sure they remember the meat thermometer.
A friend of mine that worked on an oil rig said that polar bears will watch a settlement and notice the patterns where people walk. Then they'll lie in wait around a corner to grab someone. He said that you have to take corners wide, for safety. Anyone elae hear that?

He was laughed at in the bar when he got there, when they saw his small pistol. I guess it takes some punch to bring those things down.

(Later on, in New York during 9/11, he ran toward the burning towers on 9/11 and helped as best he could. The NYPD saw him, talked to him and he joined the NYPD after that. Now that guy is tough!)

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #15 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

I just got an email yesterday showing the aftermath of a polar bear attack on a man sleeping in a tent. It was a brutal attack and the camper had to kill the bear, but he survived. The photos were quite graphic showing numerous puncture wounds and deep scratches on the man's back. The damage to his ankle was so severe, that you could literally see through it. Polar bears are amazingly beautiful creatures, but I would have been scared to death with that thing climbing on board.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Telstar 28

Alvah Simon describes how a polar bear lay in wait for him and his cat when he was icebound in his book North To The Night. Being eaten was a serious concern for Alvah and his cat.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

How to kill a polar bear...

Start by digging a big, deep hole in the ice.

Polar bears apparently love English Peas so you ring the hole with English Peas.

When the bear comes to take a pea, you kick him in the ice hole.

"When in command, command." -- Admiral Nimitz

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
post #18 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Telstar 28

That could also easily be how to become a snack for a polar bear....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
How to kill a polar bear...

Start by digging a big, deep hole in the ice.

Polar bears apparently love English Peas so you ring the hole with English Peas.

As you're ringing the hole with peas, the bear comes and has you with a side of peas for dinner....

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

He's just PO'd that he didn't get accepted for the crew position. "But I've never been to the tropics. I took off work and everything "

My complete refit is taking completely too long!
post #20 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

You go 5 miles south, then 5 miles east, then 5 miles north and end up where you started. You see a bear. What color is the bear?

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.