Pirates of the Arctic - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

The biggest wild life I've had on one of the vessels that I ran in the U.S. Navy, a Torpedo retriever, was a bull sea lion while we were in Georgia Straits. The USN in Canadian waters?? This was a joint military testing area for torpedos.
The Range Officer was a tad bit upset when we reported it. But then he wasn't the one who had to get that animal off my deck.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
old guy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Being eaten was a serious concern for Alvah and his cat.
Dog

I would say being eaten would be a serious concern to any of us.

Rik

Irwin Citation 34
Mystery
post #23 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
old guy :)

post removed by poster

Irwin Citation 34
Mystery

Last edited by rikhall; 01-14-2011 at 12:01 PM.
post #24 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

I'm confused??

It must take great skill, sacrifice and determination to sail a boat far enough north to see polar bears. Stupid people aren't generally skilled, determined or willing to make great sacrifice.
Seriously, hand feeding a polar bear? So what does the bear learn from the experience? Look, humans they fed me last time. I think I will ignore that fire stick they have slung over their shoulder, the one that goes bang, and go get dinner.
post #25 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

Go 47 seconds into this.What does he have over his shoulder?Is this legal in his country?Is it legal if i import it even for protection?
makes you go mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Regards
Mark
post #26 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
I'm confused??

It must take great skill, sacrifice and determination to sail a boat far enough north to see polar bears. Stupid people aren't generally skilled, determined or willing to make great sacrifice.
Seriously, hand feeding a polar bear? So what does the bear learn from the experience? Look, humans they fed me last time. I think I will ignore that fire stick they have slung over their shoulder, the one that goes bang, and go get dinner.
Hand feading a bear is dumb,
Baiting a bear and eating him.How big is your canner?And what is the price of canned meat here?
Regards and happy shopping
Mark
post #27 of 29 Old 01-11-2011

Opsy,
Sorry,You can just hang carcas from a hallard.Temp right at freezing.
Sorry
Mark
post #28 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Telstar 28

I don't intend on sailing anywhere near the polar bears, so it isn't a big concern of mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Dog

I would say being eaten would be a serious concern to any of us.

Rik

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #29 of 29 Old 01-11-2011
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
The biggest wild life I've had on one of the vessels that I ran in the U.S. Navy, a Torpedo retriever, was a bull sea lion while we were in Georgia Straits. The USN in Canadian waters?? This was a joint military testing area for torpedos.
The Range Officer was a tad bit upset when we reported it. But then he wasn't the one who had to get that animal off my deck.
Let me guess...Ballenas Island? Edit: I mean Winchelsea Islands? I've had lots of close up photography experience with sea lions, they are big and the bulls are that much bigger. I'm sure getting this guy off was a challenge or did he finally just get fed up and bail out.

This little incident happened last year to a friend of mine, not a very pleasant story for the animal but a story that should be told anyway.

Him and his wife were peacefully anchored in a small bay all by themselves and if I'm not mistaken it was Galley Bay in Desolation Sound for those interested. Anyway, he was hearing wolves which is quite common around these parts. The next thing he knew a small deer started swimming toward him and to his surprise it started trying to get in his cockpit with him sitting right there in amazement. Needless to say it would likely have been a disaster to help the deer so the little critter finally gave up and headed back to the mainland. I would imagine nature took it's course after that.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 01-11-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.