Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
By the way, the two stands that I could see forward of midships WERE chained together across the boat. But the starboard one had tipped over, possibly a sign that it was extended too high, and thus the stand may have been torqued by the windage, with the chain below the center of torque.

When I bought my stands, I made sure to buy the largest ones that would fit beneath the boat (and drove up to the Catalina dealer in Riverside to inspect several C250s on the hard to verify my measurements). None of my stands are extended more than 6" out of their bases.
RD,

My compliments on your thoroughness. Driving to see a sister boat on the hard, to check measurements. Nicely done.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 01-12-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Best rule of thumb I've heard is one PAIR of boat stands PER 10' of boat length as a minimum. A 30' boat should have at least SIX STANDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-12-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Came across this last week. I never feel good about mast up winter storage for a myriad of reasons but the number one reason is the added windage to the vessel. On land you don't have the keel opposing the vessel from the forces of wind only the boat stands that are meant for balancing the boat. A sailboat is far more stable in the water than on land and leaving the spar up can add unnecessary windage.

This boat was roughly 28 feet & this is what I saw:

1- Three stands per side + 1 bow
2- All stands had been chained
3- Boat was on solid cement parking lot
4- Boat was on proper wood keel blocking
5- Boat had mast up and apparently a huge gust blew her over.

I don't know what else could have been done differently in this case as everything was done by the book by a very knowledgeable yard. The only difference between this boat and all the other mast up boats is that this one faced beam to the prevailing winter winds and the others faced bow or stern to..

The boat yard we store at has a full disclaimer document that says if you choose to store mast up you and your insurance company are liable for any damages caused if your boat tips over.

Something to think about.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-12-2011
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Wow, all of the pictures and discussion just turns my stomach. It's sad to see any boat damaged like these.
Old 01-12-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
makes me happy i keep my nimble 30 on the trailer at home during the winter. the mast stays at the marina.
Old 01-12-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Makes me sick too.

I'm glad I'm keeping mine in the water, however, we could have another Flood of 96. Almost lost the lot of the marinas that year.

But, my current worry is snow accumulation.

Last edited by carl762; 01-12-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I was back down at my boat today and I had a better camera and a little better light. So I wandered back to that other boat yard to get a closer look at the boat that fell over. I have some much better pictures, and a better idea of what happened.

The boat was definitely up on concrete cinderblocks - bad idea. You can see evidence that the mast got pushed to starboard, and the blocks fell to port due to torque on the mast. It makes me really glad I dropped the mast on my boat. I did it because I wanted to do some upgrades on the masthead over the winter, but I think I'll drop it every year now that I've built a gin pole.

And contrary to what I said before, you can see unpainted spots where the pads had been - and the new grey paint in the edges of the pads. So it's possible this guy had not moved the stands.

FYI, the registration sticker on the boat expired March 2010, so this would appear to be a restoration job.

I had previously suggested that the stands were extended up too far. You can see by the position of the cam screw that this is not the case here.

Since I had more time to look around, I checked out some of the neighboring boats and saw lots of examples of poor practices - concrete blocks under the keels, stands too small for the height, and insufficient number of stands. I am SO GLAD that I decided to go elsewhere to store my boat:

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-16-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Unbelievable.

The last pic with the sea ray is an accident waiting to happen, 4 jack stands??? Concrete blocks??? WTF

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 01-16-2011

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
On the bright side, perhaps there's an insurance company out there that now will complete the refit. Lemons into lemonade!

Old 01-16-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
I noticed the cinder blocks under the keel were stacked three high, so she was really up in the air. That couldn't have helped.

I saw this as I was heading down to check on my boat today. I was feeling pretty good that my yard did it right -- then I saw MaineSail's post...

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.