Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Sad - Boat fell off its stands

I saw this in a neighboring boat yard the other night. I passed by today just before sunset, so I was able to snap a couple pics with my cell phone. I really hope this is not vandalism (which unfortunately has happened at this unsecured yard). Based on the fresh coat of light grey paint on the bottom and tip of the bow, I think this had been a nice restoration job in progress. The shallow keel looked OK, centerboard was sticking down slightly and is flexed and perhaps out of alignment, but probably not ruined. As you can see, rudder shaft is bent. Also, it looks like one of the shrouds pulled off its chainplate (or the chainplate released/broke). But to my naked eye, it all looks fixable.

I immediately went to my own boat to double-check the stands and chains.

Those of you on the east - be sure to clear the snow off if you're in the water. Last year there were lots of casualties from (power) boats that tipped over sideways because they were topheavy, or exhaust pipes that fell below the waterline from the weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Ouch!

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 01-11-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its always a shame

BUT in looking at the pictures i see 4 stands under a boat in the background that should have seven

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-11-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Pictures like that are just another reason I'm so glad to be on the 'afloat-year-round' West Coast!

Like you say, sure hope that was an honest accident....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-11-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Well that sucks! It looks like the yard used concrete blocks which I thought was a big no no? I wonder if the yard cold be at fault? Um...
Old 01-11-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Concrete blocks are a bad idea...

Not chaining the stands together is a bad idea...

Not having plywood pads under the boat stands is a bad idea...

Not having the stands snugged up to the hull properly is a bad idea....

Tying a boat cover to the boat stands is a bad idea....

Having a tall boat cover design that adds too much windage is a bad idea...

There are a lot of reasons a boat can fall over... and it is never pretty.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Well that sucks! It looks like the yard used concrete blocks which I thought was a big no no? I wonder if the yard cold be at fault? Um...
I'm not sure how that yard operates - whether their staff is fully responsible for blocking, or they ask the owner to be present to assist with placement (like they do at my boat club). I know that they provide the stands. I almost put my boat there, but backed out at the last minute because I was concerned about security and I found a boat club that was so much cheaper I could afford to buy my own brand new stands (since the boat club does not provide them) and still break even in my first year.

I noticed the concrete blocks too, but it was not at all clear whether they were in use, or just stacked beneath the boat. However, the boat did appear to come into contact with them when it fell.

That's a good catch about the four stands on a boat that needs seven. That might call into question the quality of the yard's services. I was not willing to get close enough to the "leeward" side of the boat to see whether there were broken chains, powerboat stands instead of sailboat (a common problem that I see), or other root causes. It sure looks like there was no stand on the bow., though.

I did get close enough to the "windward" side to notice that the freshly painted bottom (and tip of the bow) had no missing spots where the pads had been, so it is likely the owner relocated the pads to facilitate painting. If true, he would likely own some of the liabililty.

It's such a shame. You can see that he had very carefully constructed a wood framework to support his tarp, and the portions of the tarp that had not pulled away were carefully cut and re-taped around the mast and shrouds. Not a high-end custom canvas by any stretch, but clearly a sign of an owner who was working to take care of his boat.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-11-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
...Not chaining the stands together is a bad idea...
By the way, the two stands that I could see forward of midships WERE chained together across the boat. But the starboard one had tipped over, possibly a sign that it was extended too high, and thus the stand may have been torqued by the windage, with the chain below the center of torque.

When I bought my stands, I made sure to buy the largest ones that would fit beneath the boat (and drove up to the Catalina dealer in Riverside to inspect several C250s on the hard to verify my measurements). None of my stands are extended more than 6" out of their bases.

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-11-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
We have a minimum of seven stands under each boat, some with eight if they have a long bow section. The fore and aft stands are chained together and we have wood blocks under the keels. Tarps are NOT allowed to tie off to the stands.

Old 01-11-2011

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
I definetly have to agree with sailingdog ......If its not done right ...except problems