SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Zen moment (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71265-zen-moment.html)

john1066 01-12-2011 11:59 AM

Zen moment

I've just had a Zen moment. You know, 'if a tree falls in the forest and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?' That sort of thing.
I was writing a piece for my blog about our millennium cruise and, in particular, the final sunset of the millennium which I had filmed from our anchorage at an uninhabited cay in the Exumas.
I was rooting through miles of tape trying to find the specific footage when I realized that my audience would have no idea when the sunset was filmed. I have a million sunsets on film, like any other sailor! I have sunsets from all over the world. They all look the same! How could you tell if my 'millennium sunset' was filmed on that momentous day or a week earlier, or a month later?
Doh!
There must be a Zen saying that covers this. 'If the sunset at the end of a millennia.............' Any ideas?

sailordave 01-12-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john1066 (Post 686012)
I've just had a Zen moment. You know, 'if a tree falls in the forest and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?' That sort of thing.
I was writing a piece for my blog about our millennium cruise and, in particular, the final sunset of the millennium which I had filmed from our anchorage at an uninhabited cay in the Exumas.
I was rooting through miles of tape trying to find the specific footage when I realized that my audience would have no idea when the sunset was filmed. I have a million sunsets on film, like any other sailor! I have sunsets from all over the world. They all look the same! How could you tell if my 'millennium sunset' was filmed on that momentous day or a week earlier, or a month later?
Doh!
There must be a Zen saying that covers this. 'If the sunset at the end of a millennia.............' Any ideas?

But YOU will know. And that will eat at you every time you see a sunset. Knowing you were deceptive. Karma is a B iatch and will hunt you down and find you!:laugher

Omatako 01-12-2011 12:22 PM

I suspect . . .

. . . . . that there are members on this board that use that sort of deception habitually.:)

Post the sunset, we'll believe you.:p

JaredC 01-12-2011 01:15 PM

If Milli Vanilli falls in the forest, does someone else make the sound?

night0wl 01-12-2011 10:02 PM

The way I see it, EVERY sunset is the end of a millennia. Just the start date is a bit different.

Bene505 01-13-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omatako (Post 686022)
. . . . . that there are members on this board that use that sort of deception habitually.:)

I don't think he means to decieve. He discovered a variation on the "if a tree falls in the forest" theme.

Personally, I like the phrase from the poem the warrior was writing in The Last Samurai: "They are all perfect."

Another way of putting it. That sunset was like grabbing a handful of water from a stream at a specific instant each evening. The handful is good, the stream (your chosen life) is amazing.

Regards,
Brad

smackdaddy 01-13-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omatako (Post 686022)

Yeah! Bastards!