Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011

john1066 is on a distinguished road
Zen moment

I've just had a Zen moment. You know, 'if a tree falls in the forest and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?' That sort of thing.
I was writing a piece for my blog about our millennium cruise and, in particular, the final sunset of the millennium which I had filmed from our anchorage at an uninhabited cay in the Exumas.
I was rooting through miles of tape trying to find the specific footage when I realized that my audience would have no idea when the sunset was filmed. I have a million sunsets on film, like any other sailor! I have sunsets from all over the world. They all look the same! How could you tell if my 'millennium sunset' was filmed on that momentous day or a week earlier, or a month later?
Doh!
There must be a Zen saying that covers this. 'If the sunset at the end of a millennia.............' Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1066 View Post
I've just had a Zen moment. You know, 'if a tree falls in the forest and no-one hears it, does it make a sound?' That sort of thing.
I was writing a piece for my blog about our millennium cruise and, in particular, the final sunset of the millennium which I had filmed from our anchorage at an uninhabited cay in the Exumas.
I was rooting through miles of tape trying to find the specific footage when I realized that my audience would have no idea when the sunset was filmed. I have a million sunsets on film, like any other sailor! I have sunsets from all over the world. They all look the same! How could you tell if my 'millennium sunset' was filmed on that momentous day or a week earlier, or a month later?
Doh!
There must be a Zen saying that covers this. 'If the sunset at the end of a millennia.............' Any ideas?
But YOU will know. And that will eat at you every time you see a sunset. Knowing you were deceptive. Karma is a B iatch and will hunt you down and find you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I suspect . . .

. . . . . that there are members on this board that use that sort of deception habitually.

Post the sunset, we'll believe you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-12-2011

JaredC is on a distinguished road
If Milli Vanilli falls in the forest, does someone else make the sound?
Old 01-12-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
The way I see it, EVERY sunset is the end of a millennia. Just the start date is a bit different.
Old 01-13-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
. . . . . that there are members on this board that use that sort of deception habitually.

I don't think he means to decieve. He discovered a variation on the "if a tree falls in the forest" theme.

Personally, I like the phrase from the poem the warrior was writing in The Last Samurai: "They are all perfect."

Another way of putting it. That sunset was like grabbing a handful of water from a stream at a specific instant each evening. The handful is good, the stream (your chosen life) is amazing.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
Old 01-13-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

Yeah! Bastards!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40