SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Trying to locate a Delta Rig Sailboat

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
i currently own a 47'' Delta Rig sailboat that was built by Fred Greenway. there were only two built. if anyone has any information about the location of the other sailboat or about the builder i would appreciate hearing from you. the last i heard it was in seattle washington and was white. if you have seen 47'' america cup hull with a wishbone mast painted white with blue hash marks. thats the one! thanks, tom allen

#2 ·
Dear Tom,
I have been searching for an owner of such a vessel. I have some pictures I could send you to verify that we are talking the same subject. You might visit my website for a look at a somewhat similar concept.

www.RunningTideYachts.com
beiland@usa.net

two eMails I sent out recently

Hello Dennis,
Did you ever make contact with anyone on that vessel?? Is that vessel still around your area??

I had another gentleman send me a picture as well. I am in serious discussions with a gentleman looking to replace his std ketch rig with my version, and he also has shown an interest in knowing more about this vessel

#3 ·
Brian, the pictures you have are pictures of the boat iam looking for. thanks, this summer i will check around Port Orchard. if you want, send me a e-mail tjallen99@msn.com and i''ll give the name and number of the designer/builder of these two sailboats. also, i have a copy of the drawing. i might also mention the hull is kevlar and graphite.
tom allen

#7 · (Edited)
Good effort, dkirby... but "tom" posted that nearly 7 years ago and hasn't been hanging around lately!!;)

There was a local BC outfit that built one or two boats with a similar rig, called the "Asailia" 27 or 28... very odd and not sure that it would be all that versatile.... It's still around here somewhere.

#9 ·
The Delta rig was one of those flash in the pan ideas that showed up in the late 1970's or 80's. The idea was that jibs were more efficient than sails that were attached to a mast. The concept was that there is huge turbulence behind a mast and that a sail operating in that turbulance is inherrently inefficient. There was also a belief that the interaction between two sails made two sails less efficient that a single large sail.

With the advent of reliable roller furlers, the idea to deal with these two issues was to use one huge jib on a furler. The head of the forestay for that jib was attached to a bi-pod that was leaned aft. The headstay could be tensioned with an adjustable backstay that raked the bi-pod further aft.

Of course the problems were huge; lots of weight aloft, lots of windage, huge sheet winches to tack that guargantian jib, problems with reefing as the sail plan moved radically forward on the boat as the sail area decreased, and in the technology of that era, lots of sail stretch and headstay sag.

The rig found some popularity on Multihulls since it partially solved the mast compression on the main cross beam problem.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.