Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
These discussions always crack me up. Casual cruising sailors reject advances in technology like no other group. Eventually everyone comes around, but it's begrudgingly.

For instance, one of the posters above states that he thinks using a GPS is now acceptable (really?!?!), but only a "handheld", with emphasis. What's the point of that distinction in terms of being critical of using a fixed-mount GPS? Note by the way, that I don't mean to pick on that one poster, and please don't take offense, as you are far from alone and I'm just using that as an example.

Just about every new advancement is met by reisitence and proclamations of heresy and cries that sailing is not meant to be advanced, etc. That's just nonsense. Everything from sail material, to line material, to navigation, to communications, to building materials, to propulsion, to anti-fouling, to winches and sail control equipment, to every last little thing that you have on a modern sailing yacht built in the last 40+ years is the result of technological advances, and I bet just about every single one was decried by some group of sailors or other, complaining about how the sport is being ruined by technology.

Does it REALLY bother you that some other sailor on some other boat has a gadget that makes him/her happy?

Rant over. You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I'll be glad to clarify my position and no, I don't feel "picked on".

Firstly, I don't give a **** what someone else has on their boat. The original question was: Is a bow thruster and aphrodesiac? I didn't say anything about it being on someone else' boat.

Second, loading my boat up with radar, chartplotter, GPS, knotmeter, et all just contributes to a needless information overload (to me). Why did I specify a handheld GPS? Because my boat is only 25' and space is a premium!

Yes, advances in technology are great. Sails, line, block and tackle all made out of the latest high tech materials are wonderful, but excess "gadgetry" like bow thrusters and electronic gadgetry can end up being a crutch for the lazy or incompetent. Sometimes they even ruin a good sail/power boater by making them lazy and degrading their skills over time.

Yes, I have a very arbitrary line that I draw in the sand regarding the technology on my boat. An engine is not "excess gadgetry" it is a basic piece of equipment, much like a PFD.

What I like about boats, is that my boat is my world. I'm the owner. If you don't like where I draw my line in the sand, or how I run it, then you don't need to sail with me. I like my boat simple, and without too many technological crutches. By keeping them small, and minimal it forces me to use them as safety tools to check myself and not depend on them to the point where I can't function without them. Hell, I sailed without a Windex for nearly a year, just feeling the wind on my face.

Back to the original question: Bow thruster: An aphrodesiac?

Ok, when I see a guy manuvering a boat with a bow thruster, I don't say "Wow, that's one sexy boat with a cool owner".

When I do see a guy sail into a cove, turn upwind, and fall smartly down on his anchor, I say "That's one savvy sailor, and I'd like to build that level of skill".

I'll never covet a guy's bow thruster.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I completely respect someone who can maneuver a sailboat into a slip without a bow thruster and I agree, all should be able to do so (at least bow first). I also find it a thing of beauty to see a docking done without artificial assistance of kind.

All that said, could someone explain to me why a bow thruster is considered different from an engine/prop? The later is not required by a very skilled sailor to get a boat into a slip and haven't even existed on sailboats for all that long.

Personally, I see no difference and expect that thrusters will become as common as the prop.
Old 01-17-2011

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

Yes, I have a very arbitrary line that I draw in the sand regarding the technology on my boat. An engine is not "excess gadgetry" it is a basic piece of equipment, much like a PFD.

I'll never covet a guy's bow thruster.
Hey there Bubbles. I'm a civil libertarian at heart, so by all means, sail and equip your boat however you like, and you'll get no complaint from me. I read your post as you being critical of others doing exactly that, and if I mis-read it, apologies. It did seem as though you were drawing a line on handheld GPS for technological reasons, not space, FWIW.

In terms of the quoted passage above, you are FAR from alone. We ALL draw arbitrary lines on our boats, let's just not judge others for drawing them in different places.

And on the point about coveting someone else's bow thruster, withhold judgment on that until after you've had to maneuver a 45' boat into/out of a too small spot in an unfriendly cross wind. Have that go awry on you a couple of times, and you'll develop a brand new understanding of thruster-envy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I got no problem with somebody on a boat with a LWL that starts with a 3 having an using a bow thruster. I do, however have to giggle at the 40'+ SeaRays du jour that run bow high until within spitting distance of the harbour mouth, then drop to idle, producing a prodigious bow wave, all the while the radar is turning officiously on the hardtop. At noon. On a haze free august day.
Old 01-17-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
In my personal experience, The amount of time spent using a bow thruster is inversely proportional to ones boat handling skills. Not to say that applies to all boats with at BT, but just what I have observed.
Old 01-17-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
In my personal experience, The amount of time spent using a bow thruster is inversely proportional to ones boat handling skills. Not to say that applies to all boats with at BT, but just what I have observed.
I'm sure you are right. I've seen it myself.

Just curious though, do you consider using the motor to be a qualified boat handling skill? Most of us do, but I'm still trying to figure out why that is all that different from a bow thruster. The motor is a smelly, belching machine that is overcoming one's inability to sail into their slip as well.
Old 01-17-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The motor is a smelly, belching machine that is overcoming one's inability to sail into their slip as well.
OK New thread Biggest boat docked under sail

Biggest boat docked under sail? Where? Why?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-18-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I'm sure you are right. I've seen it myself.

Just curious though, do you consider using the motor to be a qualified boat handling skill? Most of us do, but I'm still trying to figure out why that is all that different from a bow thruster. The motor is a smelly, belching machine that is overcoming one's inability to sail into their slip as well.
I consider the motor exactly what it is..., an auxiliary means of propulsion. In case of emergency, or a lack of wind the motor is there to get me to my intended destination. Try that with a bow thruster and you only go in circles. You can't really compare the two.

I am quite capable of docking with or without my engine. Not something that I can say about many of the people using bow thrusters. Most of them don't look to be able to dock without it, much less without their motor.
Old 01-18-2011
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
I completely respect someone who can maneuver a sailboat into a slip without a bow thruster and I agree, all should be able to do so (at least bow first). I also find it a thing of beauty to see a docking done without artificial assistance of kind.

All that said, could someone explain to me why a bow thruster is considered different from an engine/prop? The later is not required by a very skilled sailor to get a boat into a slip and haven't even existed on sailboats for all that long.

Personally, I see no difference and expect that thrusters will become as common as the prop.
How about if I have a harbor pilot come and help me get my boat into a slip? That would be about the same as having a bow thruster right. Just a little aid to help me get into and out of my slip when I can't do it myself other wise...?
Old 01-18-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Couldn't fit one anyway (keelson is in the way) so I can say I've never really thought about it. BTW. a mizzen really does work like a bow thruster (kinda)