Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up. - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Turning 63 soon and sitting in Moorea on way to Australia for cyclone season. Most of the long term cruisers out here seem to be their late 50s to early 70s. I guess this is the time of life when people have the time and money to head off. The exceptions seem to be Europeans - there are a lot more of them who just take off in their 20s and 30s for a shorter period of time on a cheaper boat.
Old 06-29-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Now there is a thread for those over 36... It must fall tween 35 and 60. Even though we do accept those who are doubled nickeled. that age group must have felt left out in the scheme of things of this world....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2011

sailpower is on a distinguished road
I just turned 64 and am boat shopping again for the first time in almost twenty years. This is a very encouraging thread as most people I know think I am nuts! I say that the planets have aligned and I have the health and ability so why not?

Great topic!
Old 06-29-2011
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Will be 59 in a month but I like the post that said "God doesn't deduct the time sailing from your life." Now that is a real motivating factor to get out on the water!
Old 06-29-2011

ccher is on a distinguished road
63. Still working full time but lucky enough to have my boat parked in front of my house (front is the waterside in these parts) so spend a lot of time aboard. Just moved from a good ole boat to a fairly new one last year so projects now are getting her geared up for serious cruising instead of constant repair and maintenance. Figure 2 or 3 years then out of the foxhole!! Sailpower, you ain't nuts.
Old 06-29-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
61 and not finished yet.
Safe sailing
Old 06-30-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
You don't loose any days for fly fishing either! Life is full. My Jeanie and I just bought a "new" double-ender. We may celebrate my 65th with a cruise to Lunenburg, NS this August. We launch Tundra Down, our Islander 28 tomorrow. Later than usual for us. The new double-ender is a marathon racing canoe. So much to do! Skiing starts in just 5 months! How did I have time for a regular job? Ha!

Down
Old 06-30-2011
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Downeast, you're right about the fly fishing. We ski in the winter also. Maybe we should start a thread about what sailors do in the winter, at least those in the northern climates.
Old 06-30-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Prime,

Since I bought my first sailboat at age 11 and sailed on the estuary of the Croton River, I have known I would move aboard and sail away some day. I am still of that mind but am not so sure I want to give up so many other outdoor enjoyments to go sailing full time. Such a tough spot to be in. Our home is a spectacular cruising destination. The fly fishing is great in Maine and I have been hard it for 40 years. For us Memorial Day weekend means canoe racing. Then there are the slopes and trails in the snow! We love all of it. Ha!

One day at a time. I guess we will see if the cruises get longer and closer together. Our next extended adventure may be a three year cruise from Seal Harbor to Duluth, MN and back. We will park the boat at least twice and could extend the trip if we want to. Up the Hudson and back down the St. Lawrence. We will be close enough to enjoy all the other stuff and in that climate won't be involved in sailing in December.

Down

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 06-30-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: sp
Old 06-30-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
I just turned 64 and am boat shopping again for the first time in almost twenty years. This is a very encouraging thread as most people I know think I am nuts! I say that the planets have aligned and I have the health and ability so why not?

Great topic!
Go for it Sailpower. I went boat shopping when I was 63 for the first time in 35 years and have no regrets other that I should have done it sooner. I had talked myself out of it when I shatterred my hip. Ten years later I had a hip replacement (at 57) and as I got stronger, the call got louder. I've made no great voyages, but have truly enjoyed fair weather sailing, doing upgrades and regular maintenance. I have even climbed the mast. So much for avoiding ladders as the doctor warned. Now is a great time to be boat shopping.
John