Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up. - Page 12 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011

Cubkin is on a distinguished road
Our first sailboat, purchased in our mid-20's, was a high-performance racing catamaran. When we were close to 30, we traded in the cat for a 22' S-2 sloop we sailed for several years. But when we lost our free slip (in front of my parents' home) we traded into a powerboat, the biggest mistake we've ever made. When we hit 50, we bought kayaks so we could at least get out on the water. Now that we've hit 60, we finally made our way back to our first love. We found ourselves standing on the pier all summer admiring other peoples' boats and saying "someday when we retire we'll buy another sailboat". I finally convinced my husband that we weren't getting any younger, and were stupid to use retirement, at least 2-3 years off, as a goal for sailing. Last fall we started shopping and found an absolutely beautiful Endeavour 33. We're back on the water again and having a wonderful time!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieSmugglers View Post
for those still in their twenties sneaking a peak, thinking "thank god, i`m not replying to this post"......IT WO`NT BE LONG MATE....the older one gets, the more one realises how quick the years go by... make the very best of your life..... fill it with challenges, dreams, love & thoughtfulness....which in turn will give you adventures & fullfilment in life...best advice....keep the challenges coming whatever your age. at least then you can look back without regrets & look forward to more adventures.
What a mind reader this guy! Haha. I was also thinking to myself that this thread has received more post faster than the other age group threads combined seem to have!
You were all just waiting for your turn
Old 06-30-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
downeast450. contact me when you get to duluth. i'll show you around town. you'll find that the north coast of lake superior is a lot like maine.
Old 06-30-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
I just turned 76 last month. Been in pretty good health overall but
I am noticing my balance is not as good as it used to be and that
I don't recover from stubbing my toe on obstacles as well as I used
to. I think it would be difficult now for me to go forward and try to
wrestle down a flapping jib with the boat bouncing around. I don't think
things will improve as I get older, but I can only speak from my own
experience, your mileage may vary. I am sure there are still some 80 year
olds out there that can leap over tall buildings with a single bound.
My only advice is to do it as soon as you can even if you have to stretch a bit, FWIW, my 2 cents worth.

Dabnis
Old 06-30-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
I was grey in my 30's, went offshore sailing when I was 37. Now just shy of 50, still at it, keeps on getting better as I mellow. Hope to be doing it until my 80's. Most of my sailing friends in their 60's. Nobody wished they worked any longer...
one of my favorite old timer sayings"your only as old as the gal sleeping next to you"!
Cheers!
Matt
chrisncate likes this.
Old 02-18-2012

Dennishg is on a distinguished road
Been away from sailing for a few years but at 68 bought another sailboat (Beneteau 285). Not as agile as I once was but more patient and wiser. I was an enthusiastic MORC racer in the '70's and '80's in Miami on my Lindenberg 26, Magic. Looking forward to low key club racing in Saint Augustine. Barbara and I might even cruise Bahamas and East Coast. Adventure is ageless.

Dennis
Old 02-18-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
I just turned 76 last month. Been in pretty good health overall but
I am noticing my balance is not as good as it used to be and that
I don't recover from stubbing my toe on obstacles as well as I used
to. I think it would be difficult now for me to go forward and try to
wrestle down a flapping jib with the boat bouncing around. I don't think
things will improve as I get older, but I can only speak from my own
experience, your mileage may vary. I am sure there are still some 80 year
olds out there that can leap over tall buildings with a single bound.
My only advice is to do it as soon as you can even if you have to stretch a bit, FWIW, my 2 cents worth.

Dabnis
Great advice for sure

Dabnis (and anyone else over 60), how's your diet? If typical and "so so", ever consider going the Jack Lalane route of focused and targeted healthy juicing and healthy eating + regimented daily exercise? Might help out in the healing/reflex department... might even take a decade or more off your "true" age (the age your body is due to it's "use", not your calendar age).. just getting off meat can do wonders in and of itself..

?
Old 02-18-2012

nical is on a distinguished road
Soon turning 65 and working full time prepping the boat for a leisurely circumnavigation starting this year. It sure has been a long time coming! Anyhow we should all be conscious of just how incredibly fortunate we are to be able to do this stuff. 99+% of the rest of humanity cannot summon everything needed to own and sail .
In "life's lottery" everyone on this site are flat out winners. So enjoy your great fortune!

NL
smurphny likes this.
Old 02-19-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In "life's lottery" everyone on this site are flat out winners. So enjoy your great fortune!
Yep, I'd say we're all "winners" here.

Just turned 69 last month. I still do just about everything I could 30 years ago. I think I'm actually better on the dirt bike now ('corse it could be the bike, LOL,) a lot calmer on the street bike (smoother too) and can still singlehand the boat. My diet has changed but not at my direction, it just sort of wandered off red meat and processed foods. I've learned to control my weight and keep it between 175 and 180. I thank my parents for never having soft drinks in the house and I never developed the addiction that I see all around me. I think lack of soft drinks (and a dislike for fast food) may be one reason I'm so healthy and fit 'cause lord knows I've done everything wrong most of my life. Really.

DB
Old 02-19-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Just received my Medicare card a couple of weeks ago.....now if I can only remember where I put it.
chef2sail likes this.