Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up. - Page 14 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I cleared 60 last birthday. I may be adding years to the tally but I'm not getting any older and never will.

I had a very enlightening experience about aging vs. getting old when I was still a teenager. One of my friends had a grandmother who had been a dance hall girl during the Klondike gold rush. I was about 16 and she was way into her 80's at the time. Someone brought out a bottle of Johnnie Walker and when she saw it her eyes lit up and she said "Oohhhh, Johnnie" in a very "bad" voice.

That girl had way more than her allotment of years on her but she had NEVER gotten old.

Actually, the only things that even make me aware of how many years I've got under my belt are how young they allow cops and doctors to be these days and the fact that girls under 30 look like beautiful children, not women.

I plan on thinking and acting like I'm 30 until they carry me out with a cigarette in one hand and a martini in the other.
rugosa likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2012

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I cleared 60 last birthday. I may be adding years to the tally but I'm not getting any older and never will.

I had a very enlightening experience about aging vs. getting old when I was still a teenager. One of my friends had a grandmother who had been a dance hall girl during the Klondike gold rush. I was about 16 and she was way into her 80's at the time. Someone brought out a bottle of Johnnie Walker and when she saw it her eyes lit up and she said "Oohhhh, Johnnie" in a very "bad" voice.

That girl had way more than her allotment of years on her but she had NEVER gotten old.

Actually, the only things that even make me aware of how many years I've got under my belt are how young they allow cops and doctors to be these days and the fact that girls under 30 look like beautiful children, not women.

I plan on thinking and acting like I'm 30 until they carry me out with a cigarette in one hand and a martini in the other.
Well said. I have much in common. Except now there are an incredible number of really attractive women 55 and up that I never imagined would be so attractive.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 02-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
Well said. I have much in common. Except now there are an incredible number of really attractive women 55 and up that I never imagined would be so attractive.
Women 35 and older were ALWAYS the ones I found most attractive but I foolishly got married before I could indulge myself. If I was still a kid I'd be logged on to every one of those "Cougar" dating sites.

When I was still working I was having a conversation along these lines with a couple of my staff - one was my age and one was 26. The one my age said "when you're his age you're pretty well restricted to girls between 24 and 28 but when you're OUR age, anything between 16 and 80 will do".
chef2sail likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
One of the neat things about being an entertainer is I'm surrounded by good looking ladies every day and night of the week. The photo I posted above was taken in December, and all those very attractive ladies love it when I sing their favorite songs. The photo was taken at an upscale jewelery store in Bel Air where I've performed for the past 8 years when they had their "Ladies Night Out" sale. With any kind of luck, I'll be performing for the same age group when I arrive at Marathon Key, FL in late October. I love my job, I love my job, I love my job...

Cheers,

Gary
chrisncate likes this.
Old 02-19-2012

larrytwo is on a distinguished road
68 years old and still enjoying life...though i'm finding that what i used to do all night it takes me all night to do...

Member, Canadian Coast Guard aux, unit 55. 1980/1998
Old 02-20-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Pushing 77, not slowing down a bit, but stamina fades rapidly.
"Time is a rider that breaks us all"
Arnold Gingrich
Old 03-30-2012

unomio is on a distinguished road
Re: Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up.

Couple of thoughts from the feminine side of geezer cruising. We started our long-distance cruising when he was 63 and I was 60--in 2006. I was (and mostly am) scared by open ocean sailing. We've had the usual non-fatal disasters (engine fires, 80-knot squalls, 6-knot currents, near misses in the dead of night) and we're still afloat. Our health was lousy (heart problems, cancer) when we started and we've both had unexpected (and unrelated) medical problems involving 3rd world hospital stays and surgery. When we started neither of us was particularly fit. We're not particularly fit now (how do you exercise on a tiny sailboat?). Our boat--the basic boat, that is--has been terrific; the gen set has cost us many hours of repair time--with each failure we say to ourselves, "We've got to get rid of that thing." Our boat has been broken into--and consequently filled up with rain water--while we were away; all the wiring and the canned goods in the bilge corroded. Of course, being full of water made the mildew go crazy. That said, we've made good friends of doctors, nurses, diesel mechanics and outboard repairmen, been invited to heivas by snack (small restaurant)owners and expats, become very fond of cruising kids, learned how to make dill pickles (they don't sell them west of Hawai'i except in Samoa), and most important of all, learned that you _must_ add 25% to any wind velocity prediction on a GRIB of the south Pacific. Now our biggest argument is whether we a) return the boat to the Pacific Northwest (an uphill slog), b) go through Indonesia and head via Mauritius (maybe) to the Cape (pirates expanding operations every year, and friends of ours were killed last year), c) put the boat on a ship and have it taken somewhere interesting (Toulon?) even though it costs a fortune, or d) sail for the Horn in the Roaring Forties.

It's been quite an adventure. I don't know how to sail any better than I did starting out, but I sure know how to sail smarter. And you know what? About 80% of the cruising sailors we've met out here have been our age. It's also been super nice not hearing about US politics, not being marketed to all the time, and getting to know a different view of life. And we discovered a side benefit: we both get seasick, so nobody wants to eat (or cook) on any passage. Solves the weight problem and means we don't have to provision much between ports ;^)
Old 03-30-2012

rickvw is on a distinguished road

I just turned 60 a few weeks ago an am just beginning the adventure. I will be taking my first sailing school in June. I am fit and able and will continue to follow where ever life takes me. I have never been one to put it off for a "better" time. The best time is now. This is just one more exploration into what I am curious about.
Old 03-30-2012

Smart Pig is on a distinguished road

I am 69 -- two artificial knees and an artificial Aortic valve. Heading out tomorrow to conduct a rigging party for my fleet of Flying Scots -- 40 strong (I am Fleet Captain) -- to kick off the 2012 season. Just purchased a new set of Ullman Sails, so yeah, you could say I am psyched about getting back on the water.

I've been racing since I was 5, aboard my dad's Hampton One-design. (If there is a finer sailing centerboarder anywhere, you're going to have to prove it)

No intentions of packing it in anytime soon.
The real Sloop John B.

May you always find yourself on the lifted tack.

Last edited by Smart Pig; 03-30-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2012

geoduck is on a distinguished road

I'm 62 - my boat is 71. The boat will last longer than I will. I've been sailing since early 60's. Worked the water all my life. I'd like to be around when my boat hits 90 - maybe with any luck.......?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.