SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71355-those-us-who-above-lets-say-60-please-muster-up.html)

Boasun 01-16-2011 10:51 AM

Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up.

Of course if you are doubled nickeled we won't mind either.

I met my Seven Zero on Boxing day of 2010. Always made my lively hood from the sea. Now semi-retired and spend half a month as a maritime instructor.

I don't want this to be the "Old Fogey's site. Mainly because my mind set is permanently on Adventuresome. Anyway I like to think so. Or is it that I've always lived that way and know no other...

So how many here are graying some what and looking for what is over the horizon?

Jeff_H 01-16-2011 10:56 AM

I just hit the big 60 earlier this year. My knees aren't what they were but otherwise I am not slowing down much. And yes I am definitely graying some but still looking for what is over the horizon (in a good way).

And for what it is worth, I come here to help those with fewer gray hair and wrinkles get into and enjoy this sport which has so enriched my life rather than tell war stories to us old guys.

Jeff

jackdale 01-16-2011 11:06 AM

But I am not aging; I am maturing, like a fine red wine. Lay me down in a cool, dark place, turn me every 3 months and keep my cork wet.

capecodda 01-16-2011 12:03 PM

double nickels

Double nickel + 1.5

Just shy of the club (although I sensed there might be "junior" membership allowed from Boasun's post). I'm on my 5th last boat on this many decade voyage. Yup, this is the one, I'm done, I swear! We aren't getting older, just smart enough to know we really don't know what we are doing;)

Faster 01-16-2011 12:11 PM

The "sailing while older' thread has sure brought out the senior citizens!

I'm not far off, but not there yet.. I do have to say that hearing of all stories lately I'm inspired to keep plugging away. We do have friends approaching 70, and another into his 80s still sailing, often short/singlehanded.

Unlike not so many years ago, "70" doesn't seem so far away :eek: :eek:

rikhall 01-16-2011 12:48 PM

I'll be sixty-five this coming April. Knees are what knees are usually like after playing goal in ice hockey for 40 years, but there are lots of parts that still work pretty well.

Linda and I both love the water, love our sailboat and look forward (God willing) to many more adventures on the water.

http://rikhall.com/r/RikandLinda.jpg

Psalm 107: 23-30

Rik

wayne56 01-16-2011 01:00 PM

Still a short few years shy of 60; but hoping to become one of those weatherbeaten 75 year old sailor guys. Last spring, anchored in a cove in the Spanish Virgins, we met a couple who were on their 13th year of a world cruise; having launched themselves onto the oceans after age 65 retirement. Pretty inspiring for me (if not my spouse!).

My plan right now...stay fit for sailing, and sail to stay fit.

CanadianDave 01-16-2011 02:02 PM

while I'm still only in my early 40's.

i was outside today taking down the last of my 100 sets of Christmas lights and decorations, I sure as heck feel like I'm 60

:o :rolleyes:

sailingdog 01-16-2011 02:17 PM

I'm surprised SWAY and DENBY haven't posted here yet... or Fuzzy...

BudgieSmugglers 01-16-2011 03:33 PM

for those still in their twenties sneaking a peak, thinking "thank god, i`m not replying to this post"......IT WO`NT BE LONG MATE....the older one gets, the more one realises how quick the years go by... make the very best of your life..... fill it with challenges, dreams, love & thoughtfulness....which in turn will give you adventures & fullfilment in life...best advice....keep the challenges coming whatever your age. at least then you can look back without regrets & look forward to more adventures.