Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Those of us who are above, lets say, 60 please muster up.

Of course if you are doubled nickeled we won't mind either.

I met my Seven Zero on Boxing day of 2010. Always made my lively hood from the sea. Now semi-retired and spend half a month as a maritime instructor.

I don't want this to be the "Old Fogey's site. Mainly because my mind set is permanently on Adventuresome. Anyway I like to think so. Or is it that I've always lived that way and know no other...

So how many here are graying some what and looking for what is over the horizon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 01-16-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I just hit the big 60 earlier this year. My knees aren't what they were but otherwise I am not slowing down much. And yes I am definitely graying some but still looking for what is over the horizon (in a good way).

And for what it is worth, I come here to help those with fewer gray hair and wrinkles get into and enjoy this sport which has so enriched my life rather than tell war stories to us old guys.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 01-16-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough

But I am not aging; I am maturing, like a fine red wine. Lay me down in a cool, dark place, turn me every 3 months and keep my cork wet.
captjohnb, zeta and SloopJonB like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-16-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
double nickels

Double nickel + 1.5

Just shy of the club (although I sensed there might be "junior" membership allowed from Boasun's post). I'm on my 5th last boat on this many decade voyage. Yup, this is the one, I'm done, I swear! We aren't getting older, just smart enough to know we really don't know what we are doing
Old 01-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The "sailing while older' thread has sure brought out the senior citizens!

I'm not far off, but not there yet.. I do have to say that hearing of all stories lately I'm inspired to keep plugging away. We do have friends approaching 70, and another into his 80s still sailing, often short/singlehanded.

Unlike not so many years ago, "70" doesn't seem so far away

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-16-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
I'll be sixty-five this coming April. Knees are what knees are usually like after playing goal in ice hockey for 40 years, but there are lots of parts that still work pretty well.

Linda and I both love the water, love our sailboat and look forward (God willing) to many more adventures on the water.

Psalm 107: 23-30

Rik
Old 01-16-2011
Mirage32

wayne56 is on a distinguished road
Still a short few years shy of 60; but hoping to become one of those weatherbeaten 75 year old sailor guys. Last spring, anchored in a cove in the Spanish Virgins, we met a couple who were on their 13th year of a world cruise; having launched themselves onto the oceans after age 65 retirement. Pretty inspiring for me (if not my spouse!).

My plan right now...stay fit for sailing, and sail to stay fit.
Old 01-16-2011

CanadianDave is on a distinguished road
while I'm still only in my early 40's.

i was outside today taking down the last of my 100 sets of Christmas lights and decorations, I sure as heck feel like I'm 60

Old 01-16-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm surprised SWAY and DENBY haven't posted here yet... or Fuzzy...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-16-2011

BudgieSmugglers is on a distinguished road
for those still in their twenties sneaking a peak, thinking "thank god, i`m not replying to this post"......IT WO`NT BE LONG MATE....the older one gets, the more one realises how quick the years go by... make the very best of your life..... fill it with challenges, dreams, love & thoughtfulness....which in turn will give you adventures & fullfilment in life...best advice....keep the challenges coming whatever your age. at least then you can look back without regrets & look forward to more adventures.

Last edited by BudgieSmugglers; 01-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.