SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nautical Names

15K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  Boasun 
#1 ·
...for a cat. Anyone have some suggestions? We have a new maine **** cat and we were thinking of some nautical-related name for him. Any and all suggestions welcome!

so far, i have been intrigued by hawser, drogue, mizzen....

#30 ·
'Rudder'?
'Bill' (as in 'Barnacle Bill')
'Deck' - as cats tend to be constantly underfoot
'Dink'?
'Jib'?
'Cleat'?
'Fender'? (I always thought that cats would make good fenders - audible alarm and all that)
'Chock'?
'Jim' (Hawkins)

#35 ·
Thanks everyone for entertaining suggestions and some brief stories. In the end, we whittled it down to two names. And we went with:

Casco...as in Casco Bay, ME

...and we are now trying to teach our 4 year old son not to say "Costco." :)

#36 ·
True Story: Some folks we used to know, live-aboards; She wanted a cat- he said no way. But he finally agreed - he said she could get her cat, but he got to name it. And the cat she got was named $hithead. It was fun listening to her call the cat out on the dock on an almost daily basis.

#43 ·
Ummmm....is it too late to return the cat?

I'm sorry but after 15 years of owning Weimaraner's without kids and a several year reprieve, I got the bright idea that Santa should deliver my young kids a pair of MC's. My thinking was, MC's are most like dogs but can be left alone for a couple days while I go sailing, right?

These now 2.5 yr. old MC's have proven to be absolutely fantastic with infants and small kids. In fairness, they damage nothing unless one of them has a spontaneous neurotic episode and does a Fred Flintstone escape. I suppose they are great 'cat's but stupid by comparison to the Weimeraners. Can a cat truly be your friend? These two nocturnal demons run laps around the house at night, ambush each other and sound like small elephants in a china cabinet. If I have to listen to them ***** me out in the morning for the next 20 years - every morning - to be fed at 06:00 religiously - or retaliate by waking up my young kids to start my day regardless if I chose to ignore them - I'll go nuts. Not even an auto feeder helps....oh sure, they'll eat but then wake me up anyway.

Names? How about, 'Damnit'?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.