Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
......I'd imagine it also depends on the marina. A higher priced, more exclusive marina may look down on liveaboards, but a lower-priced marina may want to have them.
I suspect that some will take exception to that. However, I think it's generally accurate. Makes one think about why it's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCatalina310 View Post
...........A couple years ago we had a houseboat at the marina. The town gave the marina a real hard time about the houseboat, claiming that this allowed the people living on the boats to avoid their "fair share" of local taxes. The town was trying to claim that the liveaboards could put a strain on local resources because they would use services like schools, DPW, fire, police, etc. without paying for them.
This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Renting a slip has no different bearing on local tax revenues than renting an apartment. Certainly, there ar4e far more people renting apartments than living aboard vessels. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 01-17-2011

SailingIsis is on a distinguished road
Liveaboards rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucanook View Post
Liveaboards also look out for other boats and the marina. We've prevented thefts of marina and rental boat equipment, reported and fought fires, kept other boats from sinking, and tied up other boats with our own lines that the absent owners didn't care enough to prep for upcoming hurricanes and would have presented a hazard for every other boat in the place. At least in my marina, most of the liveaboard boats are better maintained than the general lot just because we are there to do it. Every time I walk down the dock I look at the waterline of every boat I see.
I fully agree with Toucanook. I'm not a liveaboard, but having some in the marina makes for a better place to keep your boat. Even having 24/7 regular security is not the same as having fellow sailors walking the docks every day!
Old 01-17-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Tenants in liveaboard slips in Vancouver (rare though they may be) have to pay a liveaboard fee set the city council, designed to be along the same scale as property taxes (I think they're currently $5.15/ft/mo). So they don't have the "using public services without paying for them" excuse (not that that's a valid excuse in a country that prides itself on the provision of free public services).

The story you always hear around here is that people who buy waterfront property complain about liveaboards, and that their complaints somehow carry more weight than boaters'. I don't know if there's any truth to it.
Old 01-17-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
... I'd imagine it also depends on the marina. A higher priced, more exclusive marina may look down on liveaboards, but a lower-priced marina may want to have them.
SD, wouldn't you call Constitution Marina a fairly high priced and exclusive marina? I pay over $750/mo for my slip -- that's not cheap (even by Boston standards). If you don't get in before October, you won't be getting in the next year -- that's pretty exclusive. And it's the most liveaboard-friendly marina I've ever heard of, judging by what I read on these forums, and has a liveaboard community that is the envy of many.
Old 01-17-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
SD, wouldn't you call Constitution Marina a fairly high priced and exclusive marina? I pay over $750/mo for my slip
High-priced for sure.

Quote:
If you don't get in before October, you won't be getting in the next year -- that's pretty exclusive.
If you judge exclusivity by wait time... marinas around here measure it in years, like 6-10.
Old 01-17-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
For whatever reason in the USA they pick and chose were and how they enforce the clean water act

As in some places a check of the y-valve is a common issue Vs up here its almost unheard of

Depending on were you live there may no issue for the marina Or HUGE pressure over everything that goes on in the marina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
SD, wouldn't you call Constitution Marina a fairly high priced and exclusive marina? I pay over $750/mo for my slip -- that's not cheap (even by Boston standards). If you don't get in before October, you won't be getting in the next year -- that's pretty exclusive. And it's the most liveaboard-friendly marina I've ever heard of, judging by what I read on these forums, and has a liveaboard community that is the envy of many.
That's why I said "MAY"..... Constitution Marina has a history of being liveaboard friendly and many famous sailors have lived there, including Webb Chiles.

But considering its location, and how accessible it is to downtown Boston...it really isn't that expensive.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-17-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Constitution has built itself up to be a liveaboard marina

Quote:
Constitution Marina is actually a really good deal. In the summer the rate is $168/ft and in the winter its $40/ft. My rate is similar in Hingham ($132/ft for summer and $37/ft for winter) and there are many rates on the Cape that are higher (Onset Bay marina is $178/ft).
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 01-17-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCatalina310 View Post
Constitution Marina is actually a really good deal. In the summer the rate is $168/ft and in the winter its $40/ft. My rate is similar in Hingham ($132/ft for summer and $37/ft for winter) and there are many rates on the Cape that are higher (Onset Bay marina is $178/ft).
CM has raised their rates for 2011, by either $2 or $4/ft. I believe it's now $172/ft in the summer and $44/ft in winter, but I could be wrong. It's not the most expensive, but it's far from the cheapest, especially when you look further away than MA. A lot of southern states have marinas with fees a small fraction of that.

Which brings up another thing... clearly Constitution Marina is very successful. As SD said, plenty of famous sailors have stayed here, and it's a favorite of cruising guides and such (at least the ones I've read). Is being so liveaboard friendly contributing to their success, or are they successful in spite of it? Would they be doing better or worse if they discouraged/disallowed liveaboards? I think they'd be much worse off, but that's just my opinion, and I may be biased If it's helping them, what are they doing that other marinas should be doing too, to help themselves by allowing/encouraging liveaboards?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.