Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
If it's helping them, what are they doing that other marinas should be doing too, to help themselves by allowing/encouraging liveaboards?
I agree that it probably helps them to encourage liveaboards. I have been trying to convince my Bride to sell the house and move onto the boat and the place I keep going to as where we would move to is CM. Even at $750/Month, that still seems like a deal compared to the cost of a mortgage, utilities, taxes, etc. Easier to fill the cruising kitty with less bills.

I think another big thing that CM does that I don't see at other marinas in the area is they let you pay a monthly fee instead of the larger, lump sum payments.

I looked at a boat at CM (Miss Molly C310 they are using for one of the B&B boats) when we were purchasing our new boat. I was really impressed with the marina, especially for being in Boston.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
It's not the most expensive, but it's far from the cheapest, especially when you look further away than MA. A lot of southern states have marinas with fees a small fraction of that.
I think the location is what makes it such a deal. You can't compare the rate at a marina in Boston or NYC to those in the south. It's like real estate, location is the number one thing that sets the cost.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 01-17-2011

ffiill is on a distinguished road
There is a great one herabouts moored on Loch Oich which is part of the Great Glen-linking via the Caledonian Canal Loch Ness Loch Oich and Loch Lochy-W.to E coast of Scotland.
The boat is thirty something foot clinker built double ender and a nice looking classic.Owner has lived aboard for past 5 plus year in a place of total beauty.Window boxes on the deck with a profusion of sweet peas and other climbers growing up the mast!In winter on a frosty day the smell of woodsmoke from the chimney of his little stove.
Mooring charges none! Sometimes quite envy him.
Old 01-17-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Renting a slip has no different bearing on local tax revenues than renting an apartment. Certainly, there ar4e far more people renting apartments than living aboard vessels. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Good point.
Old 01-18-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
as i read the rates in the east makes me glad im here costs me 177 per month plus electric in the port of kingston marina run by the city.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2011
AL C

capnscruffy is on a distinguished road
Boston Liveaboard

I grew up living aboard in Boston Harbor at The Fan Pier (Pier 1) - before the Fed' Courthouse was built. It was a different lifestyle than the marina life for sure, in those days it was totally industrial. Our home was the retired Boston Fire Boat, with various piles of equipment around the decks: lumber, ice machines, etc... We probably wouldn't have been welcome at too many marinas. My family ran party boats out of that location from 1976 until the early 90's when it was moved farther down Northern Ave. to Wharf 8, where the music tent is. We lived there from 1978. I was 12 at the time - went to Boston Public Schools, and the whole city was our playground. We all grew up and went our own ways, Dad is still doing the liveaboard thing - now on a 50' Chris Craft after he lost the Luna a year ago October - just sunk out from under him. No big surprise really, she was built in '37 and had some serious rot issues.
After Dad got rousted from there for the courthouse to be built, he spent a winter at Commercial Wharf. I wonder what their rates are? IMHO it's an even better location than CM! everything is literally steps away.
I have an Albin Vega that I keep on a mooring at SBYC, I've been considering the liveaboard thing for a while now. A friend spends summers on his Cape Dory 27 a couple of moorings away, for almost no cost except club membership which is around $500 a year. the only thing about liveing on the mooring is that there are days when you really don't want to be rowing out and back from your boat there. It can get pretty sloppy there when there's a considerable fetch to the west there. I'm thinking about that little place in Chelsea Creek, see;s more comfortable to my working class roots, and it's well protected and has heads/showers and electricity. the perfect arrangement for me would be to try to get a half time deal if I could - I work on tugs in NY for 2 weeks at a time - so hang it on the mooring while I'm at work and bring it to the dock when I'm home. - AL
Old 01-18-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
I think most boat owners like the security of having liveaboards around as long as they are well maintained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-18-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Adding liveaboards to a marina creates a neighborhood, where before there was just a parking lot for boats. Which is better depends on what you want.
Old 01-18-2011
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCatalina310 View Post
Constitution Marina is actually a really good deal. In the summer the rate is $168/ft and in the winter its $40/ft. My rate is similar in Hingham ($132/ft for summer and $37/ft for winter) and there are many rates on the Cape that are higher (Onset Bay marina is $178/ft).
$8000? Ridiculous.
Old 01-18-2011
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
those prices must be for season not month