Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
It is all relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
$8000? Ridiculous.
In my marina it would cost me $5,239 a year plus electricity (metered) to be in Hingham, Mass. At CM it would be $6,448 a year to be in Boston. A premium of $1,209 per year (around 19%) is not bad to live in Boston compared to the South Shore. Also, I think that includes parking at the marina.

It is all relative. If you normally pay less the $3-4K a year for a slip, then yes, it can seem high. But you are not doing it in the Boston area for that cheap. I am sure there are marinas in New York or Newport that are much higher. Even fan pier in Boston is higher.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011

soyuz is on a distinguished road
After reading this post i can see why it can be expensive to sail and live aboard in some places. My marina is not the best in the world since S/W wind bring some waves inside the marina sometimes but still.....i pay 500 $ for 4 months i have power and a shower with my own key for when the capitainerie is close.
I cant stay there in the winter of course since minus 30 celsius is not uncommon
I am the only one who live there full time in the summer but peps like it that i am around most of time because i can look at lines and all that good stuff. I always look around for things that dont look normal so it realy helps and also its can save alot of money to boat owners.
Old 01-19-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnscruffy View Post
I have an Albin Vega...
Me too

I have been living aboard for twenty years and loving it! Especially so now that we are cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-19-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Best Live-aboard marinas

We have been living aboard for twenty years and traveling around for four. We have had varying experiences with marinas. Obviously, some do not tolerate live-aboards at all so we were stunned by the reception we got in Friday Harbor, WA. We arrived in January and were welcomed with open arms. A few weeks after we arrived the Harbor staff threw a "Live Aboard Appreciation Night" party at the yacht club. The Harbor Master gave a speech and told us how much they appreciated the live-aboards in the harbor.

Generally, the reception we received in Washington was positive everywhere we went. Although not as warm as in Friday Harbor, it was always friendly. Here in San Francisco Bay it has been, ah, somewhat cooler.