Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
What to look for when crossing to Bamahas?

It is almost time to depart Lake Worth for Bahamas.

I will be a deck hand, sanitary worker, cleaning crew, cook, helmsman, and slave on board of a SV. If I come out alive, I know I will gain a bit more experience. To maximize learning opportunity, I would to plan ahead and doing my own log entry.

For those have first hand experience in crossing the gulf stream from FL, what are you looking for?

I was told that North wind is a no no when crossing, I image this is because current and wave are in the opposite direction of each other.

Are there any other things that I should look for?

If you would please state:

1. what is the mot ideal conditions to cross?
2. What is the marginal conditions to cross
3. What is the worst conditions to stay put?

TIA. humbly submitted.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2011

john1066 is on a distinguished road
Motor across in a dead calm. Such conditions precede the approach of a front, so you need to time it so you have the hook down in Bimini or Gun Cay before the norther arrives.
I haven't crossed from as far north as Lake Worth, but I'm sure the same principles apply.
Don't be in the stream with N in the wind direction.
Allow for the northern set, many peole underestimate the strength of the stream and end up way north of their planned landfall.
Old 01-17-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Most will wait for a wind with NO northern wind component before crossing the stream ... and depending on the immediate destination will wait for a weather window that gives an extra 1-2 days of good sailing.

On a pragmatic or practical basis when one leaves an inlet on the FL coast and looks out to the far horizon ... and no matter what the 'forecasts' are, if there are no - what seems to be 'elephants marching on the horizon' (high swells/waves) then its usually good conditions for a passage.

Usually the BEST and most reliable means to get such proper forecasts is to listen to Chris Parker on 'Caribbean Weather' starting at ~730AM (M-Sat) on SSB 4.045 mHz USB, etc.
Old 01-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd add that not only do you want to cross when there's no northern component to the wind, but you will probably want to wait a day or so if there has been a strong northerly wind for any duration so the seas can calm down.

Some of this depends on what boat you're in. If the boat you're in is a smaller one, then you need to wait for a longer window, since you'll take longer to cross than a larger boat would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
A lot of people have made a big deal over the gulf stream crossing. First of all, it's pretty much a long day trip for most FL to Bahamas ports. We went from Key Biscayne to Bimini, left at 6am-ish and arrived at 4pm-ish. The seas weren't light when we went across - maybe 4-5ft and bumpy but it wasn't a big deal. Basically, you don't want to cross when there's a strong wind with any northern component, or if there was a strong wind with a northern component the day before. Light to medium-light winds (<10kts) with a northern component are bumpy but not horrible. It's really not as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be, but some people have had nasty trips and those are the ones you hear about. The reason people say to give yourself an extra day of good weather is meteorology is not an exact science - a lo pressure system due tomorrow could come howling up today all of a sudden, so having a "window" is a decent idea.

BTW - is the jump off point your decision or are you on someone else's boat? I'm not in love with Lake Worth as a jump off point. It's 5nm or so just to the inlet, plus you start north of Grand Bahamas and have the Gulf Stream pushing you north. It's a 75nm trip across. From Key Biscayne you can stay in Noname Harbor and be slightly more than a mile from the Ocean, and only have a 50nm trip or so. This is the way we took, and then off to Nassau and the Exumas. I guess it depends on where you're going next. Anyway, my two cents.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-17-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Thank you, Captains.

I believe our captain is planning to take the northern route approach from Lake Worth to Great Sale Cay, through the Abacco Islands and stopping at MonJack, and then Marsh Harbor where I will get off.

Are there anything you can share with me beside no northern component of the wind when crossing. One thing I don't understand and have not spoken with the captain is that: Why the captain would not take the southern approach to Freeport and sail to the western of Marsh Harbor. I would think it will eliminate the chops from the northern wind. In the last few weeks, the northerly wind was much dominating the islands.

Please continue to educate me if you have time Thank you.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-17-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
BTW - is the jump off point your decision or are you on someone else's boat? I'm not in love with Lake Worth as a jump off point. It's 5nm or so just to the inlet, plus you start north of Grand Bahamas and have the Gulf Stream pushing you north. It's a 75nm trip across. From Key Biscayne you can stay in Noname Harbor and be slightly more than a mile from the Ocean, and only have a 50nm trip or so. This is the way we took, and then off to Nassau and the Exumas. I guess it depends on where you're going next. Anyway, my two cents.
The jump off point is not my decision. It was the skipper of the boat. I think he want to be in around Marsh Harbor for the winter. Thanks.

Fine Print:
Old 01-17-2011
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
Another tip: If there is chop left from a prior blow and now there is no wind, wait for things to settle down! You'll want some wind in the sails to stabilize the boat. i'ld also go if there was a northern component of wind as long as it was about 12 or under.
Old 01-17-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
That's a fairly common approach for a shallow draft vessel. Perhaps he's done the Abacos in the other direction already and wants to spend more time going west to east?

Also, Lake Worth is kind of far north to jump to Freeport. If you consider that the Gulf Stream averages about 3-3.5kts, and that you're going 70nm from Lake Worth to Freeport, and if you average 6kts across it's an 11.5 hour trip, you need to head to a point 35+nm south of Freeport to actually arrive in Freeport. In other words, you have to head 30+ degrees south of east to get to Freeport. To head to Great Sale Cay you only have to head 10 degrees or so south of east as you cross. This gives you a lot more options for point of sail across based on predominant winds. That's why I was asking about the choice of jump off point in the first place.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 01-17-2011
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
This is a good window tuesday and wednesday. Als0 a full moon which makes the night sailing a lot better. We're leaving from Key Biscayne for Nassau in the morning. Fair winds.