Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Joe, I love Annapolis. Only thing I hate is after July 4 or so, the wind dies down to nothing.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Add Cape Ann and Buzzards Bay to the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2011

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
What do you teach? I would imagine that certainly would impact the schools you would consider. In terms of some additional thoughts:

1. Any school on Long Island, NY (Stony Brook, LIU) will give you access to Long Island Sound and/or the Atlantic Ocean.

2. Any school in Manhattan (Columbia, NYU, Pace University, Forham, Iona (not really NYC, but still very near water)) gives you acces to NY Harbor, as well as Long Island Sound and the Hudson, depending on where you choose to live and/or keep the boat.

3. Any school in Boston (Harvard, BC, Tufts, BU, Northeastern, and nearly countless others), gives you access to the water via Beantown (though they have an AWFUL and unscruplous baseball team, not to mention a football team that's not so hot anymore either, so I probably would rule that place out).

4. Someone already mentioned Yale in New Haven, CT, but there's also Wesleyan. Not right on the water, but an easy drive.

5. Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI. An AWESOME place to be for sailing enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2011

estopa is on a distinguished road
Someone already mentioned Yale, but you also have Southern Connecticut State University, University of New Haven in New Haven as well. That are easy to get to via bike.

There is a large satellite campus for University of Connecticut in Stamford that you can easily bike to.
1986 Oday 222 #686
Old 01-18-2011

DamonVT is on a distinguished road
Burlington, VT was mentioned along with Burlington College and the University of Vermont, but there is also Champlain College to round out the in town colleges, and St. Micheal's College is just out in the 'burbs. We get named the best town for all kinds of things and have a thriving biking scene, with a rec path that stretches more than 10 miles along the lake shore. I live downtown and used to work at the UVM and would be happy to answer any questions or point you to local resources.
Old 01-19-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Do not pay ant attention to DanielGoldberg. I live in NH. and sail in Boston occasionally. Boston is a great sailing town as is Portsmouth NH.
He's from NYC...He don't know "from sailing."
Boston is home to the top collegiate sailing program in USA... NCAA champions... Boston College. They also have Celtics, BoSox, Patriots,
NCAA hockey champs,, BC.
That being said... Penobscot Bay is BEST summer sailing in the country. Period
That includes the West Coast, too. It includes Newport RI. Annapolis is stinky HOT in July and August.
Check it out...Sailing "Downeast' from Camden to Southwest Harbor is to die for...
Old 01-19-2011

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
In addtion to the great sailing noted above the east bay bike trail connects Providence to Bristol, RI. This forty mile bike trail seems heavily used and provides viable connections in many of the small communities along the route. I could envision never climbing in a car if summering there. South of the NY harbor is generally too muggy to allow enjoyable cycling in the summer.
Old 01-19-2011

skisandsongs is on a distinguished road
GReat - how about Pittsburgh and the midwest?

My thanks to all. This is a terrific list. We love Annapolis and have just begun visiting Camden and Burlington. All are terrific. We'll try to check out the others, at least on line.

It makes sense to expand the options so there are more possibilities. How about near Pittsburgh or in the midwest?

Also, we'd probably be happy with just a moderately large lake as well. I know it wouldn't be as terrific as some of the places here but again, I'd like to start with as many options as I could and not miss places. How about lakes for Cat 22's?

Thanks again!

Skis and Songs
Old 01-19-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
New Haven, CT home of Yale is 20 min from about 30 marina's from Milford to Clinton, CT
Lots and lots of boats and many harbors to explore and within range of
Block Island for a long weekend and Long Island and even NYC for week trip.

And I can show you around if you wish.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-19-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2011

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Although I grew up in Maine, lived in Marblehead MA (sailing capital) for 10 years, and moved to the DC area and have been sailing/racing/cruising the Chesapeake, there are advantages to all these different places.

For a pure sailing/cruising area in the summer, it's very hard to beat Maine. Trouble is, the season is relatively short, and even in the summer, fog is a major factor to deal with. The cold southerly Labrador current comes in contact with the hot Southwesterly air. June, early July and September would be the best time to be there. There are thousands of places to visit.

Boston area is great--you are sailing in the open ocean with good dependable winds, etc. Trouble is, if you really like to cruise place to place, you have to go to Maine or Cape Cod which is a "delivery" and drop off. Cape Cod is great, but very crowded in the summer. Best time to be there is May and June (where it's a little warmer than Massachusetts in the early spring) and before the crowds have arrived. After work, we would get a sub and just head off shore on a beam reach toward England, turn around and sail back arriving after midnight back to my mooring. Go to work in Boston the next morning.

The Chesapeake has great cruising (many places to go) and you can keep your boat in the water all year. Spring and fall are the best sailing seasons and there are many 50 degree days in the winter where you can go out as well. (OK, I grew up in Maine). Many days in summer can be too hot to be out, but if you check the weather in advance, you can day-sail then as well or go many places for the weekend. (No hotter than 92 degrees and some wind). The disadvantage is that if you like ocean sailing, the Bay is more like a lake--shallow and short choppy waves. This summer, we plan to do a round DelMarva trip that will take us off shore a little.

Every area has its advantages and disadvantages. You just have to decide what your primary interest is.

Hope this helps

Moe