Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Had to dock a 34-footer under sail on a seatrial/survey last year due to dead batteries. Fortunately it was a face dock and the wind conditions were ok (I won't say favorable, but not too bad). Also the genoa furler took a wrap and wouldn't furl. Got in with no mishaps or damage, and we were able to laugh about it after. Fortunately the buyer understood that the batteries and the furler were minor issues, and the sale went through. I tend to think he may actually have been pleased (in hindsight!) with the manageability of the boat in that situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.

Last edited by SecondWindNC; 01-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2011

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
I spent a few years working as pro crew on various tall ships. Some of those skippers can dock those boats sans engine no sweat. Personally, I've been aboard several 120'+ schooners that we brought alongside under sail alone on occasion. By no means was it a regular feat, but it is done. Quite a few of the older boats don't have engines other than a little yawl boat anyway.
Old 01-19-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Ranger 32, head to wind into a slip, just for the hell of it, engine was operational.

Ranger 28, beam-on to a leeward gas dock after we pinched a fuel line and engine died.

Beneteau 25, frequently owing to a temperemental outboard, and it's fun to show sailing students anyway ("*Motor*? We don't need no stinkin' motor!!")
Old 01-19-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
26 ft knock-about. No engine in that class of boats. So all of your landings were under sail. The down wind landings were the most interesting. But I could put her where a lot of power boaters have trouble landing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 04-11-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: C&C 24 on the St Johns River- twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4244 View Post
Six months later, I had replaced the outboard, but had fuel line problems. My wife worked the tiller and we used the main for power. The only negative was that the sail didn't drop as quickly as I hoped and we came in a little hot to the dock at the end of the pier. It didn't seem hot until I was trying to hold on to a piling and not go over the side. My brother in law had good intentions in the stern, but was a little shocked when the bicycle grip at the end of the boathook came off in his hand.
Why didn't you just blow the Main/Jib sheet instead of dropping the sail? Unless you are almost dead into the wind (in which case, it's not providing momentum anyway) the sail will be reluctant to come down. Blowing the sheet will depower it instantly.
Old 04-11-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: Biggest boat docked under sail

My largest was an Irwin 54' that had blown the turbo lube all over the engine compartment. Luckily it was a light air day.

Instead of trying to sail into the slip, we sailed past the slip, and looped the anchor line around a piling. Then used the windlass to winch ourselves in. Luckily the wind was coming right down the slip so we didn't have a drift problem.
Old 04-11-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Rhodes 19

Hey, you asked!

The rental fleet at the Pearl Harbor marina had no engines. I learned on the Widgeon 13 (O'Day?) and that one you could thunk (a little bit) to stop it. The R19 was a much heavier boat and I had to be more responsible.

I could rent the R19 keel boat for $3 an hour and the place was on my bike ride home.

Good times.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
Old 04-11-2013

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

16 Catamaran. Beat that!

Had to go dead down wind alongside (parallel to) the dock, and flip a U-turn to stall in-irons close enough to the dock to grab a cleat. Always solo. A little sketchy with high winds, but it's not like it was a $100k boat.

Hey, you asked...

Congrats to the people who successfully practice on bigger boats.
davidpm likes this.
Old 04-11-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I've docked my oday 30 a few times just for the practice. it's pretty easy to de-power the mainsail. I've docked a friends Chrysler 22 also. I'd say it's easier to dock in this situation a larger boat with wheel steering.

Maybe be a good time to mention if one is not sure of their skills.. drop the hook and flag or call for assistance. (if you don't have a dink)

my current "project"!
Old 04-11-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Jackdale, I had a similar experience... Overheated the engine (failed to monitor the coolant... duh). Light air near Sans Souci island (Georgian Bay) in fairly confined waters and uncertain prospects about sailing some 40 miles back home... Sailed 36' Catalina to a (long) dock, without other boats there, with the 150 genoa only. Wind was so light I was able to steer the boat while holding the genoa sheet to control wind power as my wife got ready to hand lines onto the dock to stop the boat with a springline. We all should try and handle the boat under "no power" conditions, even if would mean just dropping the anchor to stay out of trouble when the engine becomes unavailable in a confined channel... but, mostly we don't. File it with MOB drills...