SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Biggest boat docked under sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/71397-biggest-boat-docked-under-sail.html)

jackdale 01-17-2011 09:56 PM

Biggest boat docked under sail

The bow thruster discussion got be thinking about this.

What is the biggest boat you have docked under sail?

Me - Beneteau 50, Fisherman's Resort and Marina, overheated engine.

jrd22 01-17-2011 10:22 PM

IIRC it was a wooden 36' Mariner ketch. At night. First time I had been on the boat (1 hr. total). Engine wouldn't start. If it hadn't been for someone on the dock quickly cleating a stern line I would have punched that long bowsprit right thru the transom of a big white power boat (BWB). Lake Union (Seattle), WA

jackdale 01-17-2011 10:27 PM

John

I was on the long dock with no one else. We stopped it with a single line to a winch.

Yours is tough one. Were you alone?

proflyer 01-17-2011 10:57 PM

34ft Bavaria at telegraph harbour marina on my "coastal skipper" ISPA course. great instructor!

jackdale 01-17-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proflyer (Post 687937)
34ft Bavaria at telegraph harbour marina on my "coastal skipper" ISPA course. great instructor!

I am surprised there was enough wind there.

BTW - who was the instructor? I probably would know them.

jrd22 01-18-2011 12:05 AM

My son was with me, it was his boat and the first time either of us had been away from the dock in it. Fortunately there was a spot open at the end of one dock at his marina, but it was only about as long as the boat. I was bringing it in under jib only on a starboard reach, got a big gust out of nowhere (did I mention it got dark on us while we were trying to get the engine started?) just before I was going to let it fly, and of course we were committed by this time. Three or four knots sure feels fast sometimes.

capecodda 01-18-2011 06:39 AM

close approach practice

With a 52, with in mast furling, we'd "practice." On quiet days, in Falmouth Inner harbor, we would furl the jib, and play the in mast roller furling main like a throttle. Engine idling as backup. Narrow channel, etc., etc., my interpretation of the rules is you don't have many rights in this circumstance even if under sail which we were not, so if things got out of hand, we were ready to roll up and power.

We'd get a boat length from the slip before engaging the engine and backing in under power. Based on this experience, we felt we could get to the fuel dock (a large face dock) if necessary under normal summer conditions. Our plan would be to call the marina in advance to insure the fuel dock was clear ;) .

Cannot say we ever landed the beast this way :) . That would get the sweat glands goin:D

Sailormon6 01-18-2011 08:10 AM

My biggest was a friend's 28', 8500 lb. boat that I sailed into it's slip after it's engine failed. The key is, don't try it if the wind speed and direction aren't right, and reduce sail area to keep boatspeed down. I usually prefer using the mainsail, rather than the jib, because you can lower the mainsail as far as necessary to minimize speed, and you have the ability to sail to windward, if necessary. You need to know how far your boat will carry, so you can drop all sail and coast the rest of the way, and have a boat hook ready, so that, if the boat stops before you get into the slip, you can reach out and hook it on pilings, and the docklines and pulpits of other boats, and work the boat into it's slip. (It's better to go too slow and come up short than to be going too fast and ramming the dock.) It's dangerous to sail into a marina sans engine, because you have no engine reverse, in case another boat blocks a fairway, so, use the boat horn to alert others that you have a problem, and that you're coming, and only do it if you have to.

speciald 01-18-2011 08:27 AM

We lost propulsion 700 miles from Tortola and sailed the rest of the way in Village Cay Marina in Road Town. We went to a T-Head and tied up until the engine coupling could be replaced. The boat, a 70,000 pound 58 foot Taswell. Only problem we had was bleeding the last bit of momentun as we approached the dock - did it by rocking the rudder. One stern line stopped us without pulling the bollard off the dock. As you might not know, Sunsail and the Moorings use the same entrance and for some reason, the skippers did not respond to our Securite' on the VHF and multiple horn blasts as we approached the narrow entrance. Luckily we also had a hailer and frantically waving crew to get their attention.

tb4244 01-18-2011 09:23 AM

C&C 24 on the St Johns River- twice!

Until I saw this thread, I wasn't especially impressed with myself. In both cases, an outboard failed. Since then, we never leave the slip without being sure we have power.

In the first instance, I was on the tiller and my brother worked the jib as we sailed into the marina, between two piers and about a third into the slip. The wind could not have been more cooperative- gentle and even a slight change of direction for the final approach.

Six months later, I had replaced the outboard, but had fuel line problems. My wife worked the tiller and we used the main for power. The only negative was that the sail didn't drop as quickly as I hoped and we came in a little hot to the dock at the end of the pier. It didn't seem hot until I was trying to hold on to a piling and not go over the side. My brother in law had good intentions in the stern, but was a little shocked when the bicycle grip at the end of the boathook came off in his hand.

One great side benefit of the second event was how proud my wife was of her boat-handling skill, and rightly so. She was happy with the boat already, but it's been true love ever since.