Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011

BudgieSmugglers is on a distinguished road
colour blindness & navigation

they say that one in ten males are colour blind..... i`m one of those & tend to be colour blind in the red spectrum. this can be very daunting & i lack confidence especially at night. any colours that have red in them such as purple, mauve, marroon etc. really fool me...funny really, as i used to be a professional photographer, but colours in nature don`t clash & i never had problems. but put me in a photographic studio & i`m lost. in australia they are replacing the cones & the cans on top of poles with lights. the shape of the cones & cans in daylight were great for me....even at night i could shine a spotlight on them & pick out the shapes. if it was triangular i new it was green. with the lights i really can`t tell the difference between red & green until i get very close to them. i was wondering if others have the same problem & if anyone has any ideas to help improve my situation.
Old 01-18-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
In are Harbor we have a lot of red/green unlighted Nuns that are tough even with normal color abilty as on a really dark night the green is really tough to spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011

cdhickey is on a distinguished road
I'm colour blind as well and have the exact same problem at night. My solution so far has been to have a good first mate with normal vision!
Old 01-18-2011
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
You could try using a piece of red or green clear plastic at night, hold up and look through the red and the red lights disapear and the green is visible look through the green and the green disapears and the red is visible. I am not colour blind but I have heard it works.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 01-18-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
You could try using a piece of red or green clear plastic at night, hold up and look through the red and the red lights disapear and the green is visible look through the green and the green disapears and the red is visible. I am not colour blind but I have heard it works.
Simon, it is a good thing you're not color-blind. The red lights should show up clearly through the red plastic, since the red plastic TRANSMITS red light. The GREEN LIGHTS would appear a lot darker, since the red plastic blocks GREEN LIGHT. Same thing for the GREEN PLASTIC... filtering out the RED LIGHT and passing the GREEN lights.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2011

i`ve never tried wearing sunglasses at night but i wonder if looking through a pair of polaroids with a redish tint improves colour blindness with reds, day or night???
Old 01-18-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
OK guys - There is another thread about all of this.

I'm colour-blind, is this going to be an issue?

actually there are degrees of Colour Vision Deficient. That is why some guys who have been told they are colour 'blind' can see a difference b/w r and g.

However - it cannot be fixed/tricked or sorted. So if you use an up to date plotter you'll be fine.

Old 01-18-2011

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
"I'm colour blind as well and have the exact same problem at night. My solution so far has been to have a good first mate with normal vision!"
I'm also colour blind and I do practice what was stated, i.e. have always a mate with normal vision, not only to advise in the night BUT ALSO DURING THE DAY.
Old 01-18-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Same problem here. It's no fun. My method is to slowly creep up to the light in question until I'm close enough to identify.

Dick
Old 01-18-2011

thanks st anna, did`nt realise there was a colour blind discussion out there... your link is much appeciated and very informative

Last edited by BudgieSmugglers; 01-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.