Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011
South Seas Dreamer

asburyjohnny is on a distinguished road
Epoxy Fiberglass craftsman wanted

I have a 33' sailboat with teak deck. I'd like to install a fiberglass epoxy coating over it to seal the wood and screw holes to prevent further water seepage into the core. I am looking for someone experienced in this type of fiberglass/epoxy use to do the work. I am located in NJ. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why would you want to do this? It would add a lot of weight to the boat. What would make far more sense is removing the teak deck entirely, since many boats with teak decks had the teak deck installed over a fiberglass one.

It would help if you said what kind/make/model boat it was, since someone here may have some experience with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-18-2011
South Seas Dreamer

asburyjohnny is on a distinguished road
not much

It wouldn't add a lot of weight. The deck is narrow, 10' beam, and most of the deck is taken up by the main cabin. It's a Cheoy Lee, hence the water problem. Don't want to lose the teak look with removal. I figure to re-caulk, replace missing bungs and add the fiberglass/epoxy, with some non slip in various areas.
Old 01-18-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Generally, epoxy and teak don't get along real well, which means you may have a bigger problem 2-5 years down the road as your epoxy coat delaminates and lets water in but won't let it escape. It is also going to make your decks wicked slippery, unless you add a non-skid additive, and then you decks will just be really ugly.
Old 01-18-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
From what I have read and some limited personal observation....Sailing dog and BJ are telling you the gospel...apparently teak is just too oily of a wood to make a good mate to epoxy....teak seems to do best when left alone or treated with teak oil or varnish in areas which are not leak-prone...places you can re-coat every year like a few new coats on a grab-rail (after sanding).

Decks would seem to be subject to great potential for water entry...then your teak will wet-rot with no oxygen in the wet cavity...that's at least what I have heard from several sources in here or other reputable online forums...and after some experiences with teak over the last few years... I'd personally tend to agree with those conclusions...good luck..

Last edited by souljour2000; 01-18-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Johnny, that's a butcher job and no craftsman will touch it. Anyone who will touch it, won't be a craftsman.

When you have a leaking teak deck there's only one thing to do and that's to remove the teak, all the teak, and then either rebed it properly or strip it off and reseal the fiberglass beneath it.

Either way you need to remove all the deck hardware and do a lot of labor, and the "remove all the teak" part doesn't have to be skilled marine labor, just any careful carpenter or manual laborer.

Anything else is a kludge job, and is just going to delay the inevitable while wasting your money.
Old 01-18-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Definitely throwing my vote with the crowd.....this plan is a non-starter.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-19-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
From what I have read and some limited personal observation....Sailing dog and BJ are telling you the gospel...apparently teak is just too oily of a wood to make a good mate to epoxy....teak seems to do best when left alone or treated with teak oil or varnish in areas which are not leak-prone...places you can re-coat every year like a few new coats on a grab-rail (after sanding).

Decks would seem to be subject to great potential for water entry...then your teak will wet-rot with no oxygen in the wet cavity...that's at least what I have heard from several sources in here or other reputable online forums...and after some experiences with teak over the last few years... I'd personally tend to agree with those conclusions...good luck..
My sentiments exactly.

Dick
Old 01-19-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
asburyjohnny, you say you don't want to lose the "teak look" -- so you're hoping the epoxy sealer (with fiberglass cloth?) will be a clear coat? and still be non-slip? Like the others, I think you are asking for the impossible.

If you want the non-skid properties and the look of a teak deck, then you need .... a teak deck! If the one you have now is leaking, then the proper repair is to pull it all up and re-do it. Lots of people before you have decided in the end that it just wasn't worth it, so they pulled up the teak and replaced it with something else (for example, treadmaster). There used to be an article on the old SailNet by Sue&Larry documenting their teak deck removal and replacement project -- found them, here:

Part 1: Techniques for Removing Teak Decks

Part 2: Installing Treadmaster Nonskid

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 01-19-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The OP still hasn't said what kind of boat this abortion would be inflicted on.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.