SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

European Yacht of the Year: 2010/2011

7K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  PCP 
#1 ·
The European Yacht of the year is a award that is attributed to the best sailboat of the year in several categories:

Family cruiser; Luxury cruiser; Performance cruiser; Special yacht.

The jury is composed by boat journalists of many European magazines, one for each country : Germany - "Yacht"; Denmark - "Badnyt"; Sweden - Batnytt; Italy - Fare Vela; Norway - Seilas; Switzerland - Swissboat Yachting; France - "Voile magazine"; Netherlands - Waterkampioen; Austria - "Yacht Revue"; England - "Yachting world"; Spain - Yate.

All the pre-nominated boats (several in each category) are test sailed together in several locations by all testers. The voting results are announced in the Dusseldorf boat show, on this weekend.

The testers were unanimous in stating that this year was a very good year with many excellent sailboats. Some even had said that this year brought significant advances to cruising boats and better boats.

Take a look at the testing and at the nominated boats (we talked of almost all of them on the "interesting sailboats" thread):

Europas Yacht des Jahres aus Barcelona - YACHT: YACHT tv

Europas Yacht des Jahres - Teil 1 - YACHT: YACHT tv

Someone emailed me saying that the Elan 350 was the winner of the performance cruiser category:)

Well, I cannot say that I am surprised;)

Tomorrow the official results will come out.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
From 70 new boats were nominated 20, to be test sailed together by all testers from all magazines. These are some of the boats:

The performance cruisers are: First 30; Dehler 32; JPK 1010; Azuree 40; Elan 350.

The Family cruisers are: Bavaria 45; Beneteau 58; Comet 26; Hanse 445; Jeanneau 409.

The Luxury Cruisers are: Contest 57Cs; Nordship 360DS; Sirius 35DS; Sunbeam 42.1; Xc 38.

#4 ·
And the winners are:

Performance cruiser: Elan 350

YouTube - Elan 350 video -- Yachting World

Family cruiser: Jeanneau 409

YouTube - Sun Odyssey 409.mov

Luxury cruisers: XC-38

YouTube - Xc 38 news Salone di Genova 2010.wmv

Special cruisers: Safier 23

YouTube - Saffier 23

Thanks HdChopper:) . But that is not really difficult. I would have chosen exactly the same boats as the ones that were chosen by all those testers. Only regarding the Saffier I would have choose otherwise. Probably the Tofinou 12

YouTube - Tofinou 12m

Comments?

Regards

Paulo

#6 ·
Glad to see the E350 won, appears to be a very nice boat. Altho I thought a few years ago the Europeans did things a bit more by length. To me the F30 and E350 would have been the best two in that group. but the F30 granted only 5' shorter, a lot can happen in that 30-35' difference. Not so much from 35 to 40.

Now need to go to the Jeanneau owners site, and see if there is a post re the 409 winning! That would be fun, some chap from the left coast skiing in the mtns with the who won before the european folks posting. Hopefully Malcom is on this already!

Marty

#8 ·
Some information about the criteria to select the boats:

The panel of judges assessed performance, comfort, construction quality, price -performance ratio, design and the unique selling criteria of each candidate. 'Performance levels were incredibly high this year. This made our decision very difficult in some cases,' said YACHT editor-in-chief Jochen Rieker, summarizing the current results. 'We were also impressed with the level of innovation shown by the boat builders and by their readiness to adapt elements from the regatta scene, for example,' added the yachting expert.

Sail-World.com : Elan 350 wins European Yacht of the Year 2011 Performance Cruiser

#10 ·
I will leave you with a description of why juries voted on the winning boats (posted previously by Slap on another thread) and with a Video of the awards announcement, at the Dusseldorf boat fair. I know that it is in German but it is kind of funny to see respectable guys jumping of joy and behave like kids:D

You can see also nice images of the winning boats.

European Yachts of the Year 2010/11 | Yacht News | Yachting World

Europas Yacht des Jahres - Die Sieger - YACHT: YACHT tv

You can read more about this on the "Interesting Sailboats" thread.

Regards

Paulo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.