SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Trials & tribulations of Renewing a USCG License.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  n2dablue 
#1 ·
Okay this is a tale of Woe....
In the first week of last March, I submitted my papers for USCG License renewal. :eek:
It took until September with several letters from my heart Doctor to move on.
Then they required me to redo the STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping).:(
So I started STCW the 4th of October. The 5th of Oct. I broke my ankle. Three weeks ago I was able to complete the Recertification, with an aching ankle.:eek:
Now they want me to take three Exams. Fortunately it will be open book. Have to have a minimum of 90% on each test.:confused:
I believe that they are going out of their way and making it hard for us sightly older people to renew our licenses... :mad:

Can't prove it though. :(

Yes the Ankle is still bothering me. Am using a cane and a small brace on the ankle.:eek:

Oh, I forgot to add that they tried to drown me during the water-survival portion of the certification. Had to jump from a high platform, then right a liferaft. And the Helicopter part was even worst. You are buckled into the simulator and dunk you deep under water, You had to swim out. The second time they had the doors & windows in place and you had to swim out from deep under water. Then you are buckled in and as they lower you under the water while turning you upside down. Yep! had to swim out again... and the last time with the doors and windows in place and do the swimming out again... :eek:

So how are you in renewing or acquiring your License??

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to hear you survived... you're a tough old coot and should be fine... ;)

#4 ·
My mistake...I meant to say positively ancient... ;):D:D

#6 · (Edited)
Okay this is a tale of Woe....

Oh, I forgot to add that they tried to drown me during the water-survival portion of the certification. Had to jump from a high platform, then right a liferaft. And the Helicopter part was even worst. You are buckled into the simulator and dunk you deep under water, You had to swim out.

Is this for a commercial lisence? If not I,m staying this side of the pond.

Happy sailing

#7 ·
sounds like that lot. All noise and not much content. A few years ago I was out at the CAA to renew my tickets and the American chap in front of me had a whole hand full of American tickets certified for everything except instructor on the space shuttle. Well, the man behind the counter took a look and then looked at his log-book and said... I can give you a private pilots ticket and sign you up for the commercial written exams then when you have enough hours you can do a flight test and perhaps earn your commercial. Guy had a fit - not a good idea with UK stamp-o-paths - and stormed out. He only had 387 hours - proper commercial takes min 2,000 hrs in most places. BTW what is the use of an open book exam anyway? When the puppy poo is in the air con will you have time to go find the book and look up the answer? Sorry just being a smart rump again. Cheers and happy sailing

#8 ·
......He only had 387 hours - proper commercial takes min 2,000 hrs in most places.....
You could easily be in your first combat mission with fewer than this chap had. It's the quality of your training combined with your aptitude that matters, not the quantity.

As far as commercial pilots licenses go, the US has two, Commercial and Airline Transport Pilot. The former demonstrates some improved skill, but is fairly useless. Its privileges are limited. The ATP is necessary to fly for a living with a carrier and its standards are quite rigorous.

#9 ·
Boasun,

You've got 16X my tonnage, so your way above my pay grade :) . Renewing a 100 ton doesn't involve dunking the applicant.

I sat (or should I say) swam in for part of STCW to get the experience. I learned that survival suits and overturned life rafts are no picnic even in a heated indoor pool at my slightly less advanced age;) . Gumby suits are very restrictive, and life rafts aren't easy to board from the water. The dunking you are talking about is WAY more extreme!

I think brain counts for more than brawn, and experience has the highest value. Respect and power to the old guys :D

#10 ·
I recently renewed my 1600T Masters. What an adventure that was. After downloading the application from the U.S.C.G.'s own website, taking a physical, acquiring sea-time letters from my company, renewing my radar, trying to renew the T.W.I.C., taking the required physical and turning it all in... It got rejected. The reason? The forms that I downloaded from the Coast Guard's website were obsolete, eerrrrrrr. It's just my livelihood that they toy with. Just. Thankfully I did not have to renew the S.T.C.W. That's a right pain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.