Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Thanked 78 Times in 76 Posts
Rep Power: 10
He can certainly raise his asking price, to cover broker commission, but that doesn't mean that he'll get it.
I can't imagine that there's alot of buyers for this boat in the middle of January in Michigan. It will be there in the spring. I wouldn't leave a deposit.
I'd tell the owner that I was very interested in the boat and would give it a serious look in the early spring. Whether or not he decides to put it in brokerage is up to him.
Imo, it doesn't mean you'd have to pay more. Wait for a time when you can obtain a good inspection.