Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011

flyboyzz1 is on a distinguished road
Buying in Winter

First off I should warn that I am very new to sailing but not boating. Looking to buy a used 24-28' boat to use this summer. I recently found a private sale of an Erickson 27. Checked it out yesterday and it seemed very nice for a mid 70s boat. Had some things about it that made me very interested: 2002 Yanmar engine with 150 hours, wheel, new mainsail, nice inventory of serviceable sails, decent paint with no signs of blistering among others. Current owner had a survey from 2006 available which checked out good with some very minor fixes mentioned (wrong fuel tank color, dated flares, ect.). Problem is I really don't have any idea what I am doing or looking for or at . I would feel comfortable having a survey done but not sure that would be any good seeing that it is 20'F and the boat is outside and winterized. Looking for advice or suggestions! Do people put a deposit or something down on the boat pending a survey in warmer weather where everything can be checked? Seller told me he was going to keep it listed privately for a bit and then give it to a broker which he would have to raise the price (wasn't trying to pressure me). Ideas???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like good gamesmanship on his part. I would not spend money and not have it surveyed.
There are more than several areas that could spell MORE money after the purchase. You want to have that knowledge before. Then you can be better prepared to make a decision.
Old 01-23-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
At this boats age despite the fact that is sounds like a fairly well kept boat there are a bunch of fairly costly possible problems like wet core that just cant be checked in cold weather

Its a real minefield doing a deposit with a private owner pending the outcome of a survey months away and as far as a broker there NOT dieing to try and sell a 70s low value boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 01-23-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2011

bornagainsailor is on a distinguished road
I purchased my boat last spring under a similar situation - boat was on the hard, shrink-wrapped and had not been used since'06. I did put down a deposit with the WRITTEN stipulation that I could rescind my offer to buy if survey indicated structural and/or rigging problems. Also put in writing that deposit would be returned under that stipulation. Marine survey was delayed due to rain and cold weather as broker and owner did not want to remove shrink wrap under these conditions. Happily, the survey indicated no major structural or rigging flaws and only a few minors repairs/replacements were needed. Perhaps you could propose such an offer to the owner requesting a survey as soon as weather permitted. Just make sure the offer is in writing and agreed to by both parties. If the owner is a motivated seller, he might agree to this arrangement. I wish you luck.
UG
Old 01-23-2011

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
Lot's of great info at ericsonyachts.org ...Ericsons have a very good reputation....I have a 1973 27 love it.
Old 01-23-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
It is a buyer market. Unless it is a fire sale, why such a rush. I would wait until you and the season are ready. Never fall in love with a boat.

My two cents.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 01-23-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
I've seen this situation handled by doing what survey items are possible right away. That includes quite a bit. For example, structural and moisture problems are better found on hard. The rig might be easier to look at stepped. Etc.

If the outcome of all of this is good, a deposit is made and held in escrow, with a written agreement that is subject to sea trial and survey items that can only be accomplished in the water, months later. The surveyors we've worked with, at least up here in the great white north, do this 2 step survey all the time.
Old 01-23-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I wouldn't jump in with both feet this time of year. As stated above, in this economy it's a buyers market and there are a zillion boats out there for sale an excellent prices. Additionally, surveys should be done during relatively warm, dry weather when the boat is on the hard. Moisture meters are extremely sensitive and it doesn't take more than a light dew to provide a false reading.

Additionally, check out the surveyor's reputation before having the survey done. There are lots of marina surveyors out there, some of which are very, very good. Unfortunately, there are lots of bad ones too.

You didn't mention how much the boat cost and the area where expect to sail. Just food for thought.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 01-23-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd recommend you read the Boat Inspection Trip Tips thread I started, as it will help you determine whether this boat is worth going further with. If it is, you will probably want to get a full survey, but will need to wait until it is warmer to do so, since many tests, like those for a wet deck, will fail if the deck is frozen solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyzz1 View Post
First off I should warn that I am very new to sailing but not boating. Looking to buy a used 24-28' boat to use this summer. I recently found a private sale of an Erickson 27. Checked it out yesterday and it seemed very nice for a mid 70s boat. Had some things about it that made me very interested: 2002 Yanmar engine with 150 hours, wheel, new mainsail, nice inventory of serviceable sails, decent paint with no signs of blistering among others. Current owner had a survey from 2006 available which checked out good with some very minor fixes mentioned (wrong fuel tank color, dated flares, ect.). Problem is I really don't have any idea what I am doing or looking for or at . I would feel comfortable having a survey done but not sure that would be any good seeing that it is 20'F and the boat is outside and winterized. Looking for advice or suggestions! Do people put a deposit or something down on the boat pending a survey in warmer weather where everything can be checked? Seller told me he was going to keep it listed privately for a bit and then give it to a broker which he would have to raise the price (wasn't trying to pressure me). Ideas???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-23-2011

flyboyzz1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the tips. The boat seems to be in pretty good condition and is rather inexpensive 6k but I wouldn't think about making my first purchase without a survey. Boat will be sailed in W. MI on Lake Michigan. I always thought buying in the off season would be the best bang for my buck. In this economy, will there be that much change in pricing come Spring?